Theodore Voorhees is a senior litigator in the firm's Washington, DC office and a member of the Antitrust and Competition Law Practice Group.
Antitrust and Consumer Protection - Mr. Voorhees' antitrust practice encompasses counseling and litigation, with particular emphasis on pricing and distribution arrangements in the United States, and counseling trade associations on antitrust compliance matters. He is Immediate Past Chair of the ABA Section of Antitrust Law, having previously served as Chair (2012-2013), Chair Elect, Vice Chair, International Officer, Section Delegate to the ABA House of Delegates, and Publications Officer. He also has served as one of the co-teachers of the firm's antitrust seminar at the University of Virginia School of Law since the early 1980s.
On consumer protection matters, Mr. Voorhees has represented clients in proceedings before the Federal Trade Commission on advertising and marketing matters and the Consumer Product Safety Commission on product safety matters. He has also advised clients regarding the new field of neuromarketing, as well as consumer class action proceedings filed under state consumer protection and unfair business practices statutes.
Product Liability - Mr. Voorhees' practice also encompasses product liability and toxic tort matters, including both counseling and litigation with particular emphasis on mass tort litigation and trade association liability. He has counseled clients on product liability and risk assessment in the software, mining, medical devices, construction equipment, pharmaceutical, chemical, food, and beverage alcohol industries. Mr. Voorhees has lectured at numerous conferences on a broad range of product liability issues including nanotechnology, the growing controversy over the causes of the obesity epidemic, harms caused by computer viruses and similar cyber attacks, strategies for peripheral defendants facing an upsurge of filings in asbestos litigation, and product liability risks facing trade associations that lobby the government on health and safety matters.
- Antitrust advisor to numerous clients on pricing policy issues following Supreme Court Leegin decision.
- Antitrust advisor to air freight industry client on market access issues.
- Antitrust advisor to automobile industry client in connection with issues presented by joint venture.
- National counsel to trade associations on antitrust, product liability, marketing and related matters.
- National coordinating counsel for professional society in multi-state welding toxic tort litigation and for medical device manufacturer in orthopedic product liability litigation.
- National coordinating counsel for trade association in multi-state vinyl chloride toxic tort litigation.
- Counsel to biotech company in successful defense of wrongful death litigation arising out of a clinical trial conducted in Illinois.
Honors and Rankings
- Chambers USA Guide for Products Liability (2006-2013)
- Best Lawyers in America for Antitrust Law and Product Liability Litigation (2008-2015)
- The International Who's Who of Competition Lawyers & Economists (2014)
- Washington DC Super Lawyers for Antitrust Litigation (2012-2014)
- Washingtonian, "Top Lawyer" for Antitrust (2013)
- GCR Who's Who Legal, Competition Lawyers & Economists (2010)
- PLC Which Lawyer 2009 Yearbook, for Competition/Antitrust, Life Sciences/Product Liability, and Dispute Resolution (rated as "Leading Individual")
- PLC Life Sciences, Which Lawyer? for Product Liability (2008-2012)
- Practical Law Company's Cross-border Life Sciences Handbook, Recommended rating for his industry litigation and antitrust expertise (2006-2009)
- Practical Law Company's Cross-border Competition Handbook, Recommended rating in competition and antitrust expertise (2006-2009)
- Practical Law Company's Dispute Resolution Handbook, Highly Recommended rating as both a product liability and an antitrust litigator (2003-2004; 2004-2005; and 2005-2006)
- Global Counsel 3000, rated as one of eight "highly recommended individuals" for Litigation and Arbitration (2001)
- Represent veteran seeking rating increase for service-connected disability.
- Represented prison inmates in parole hearings.
- Provided counseling to advocacy organizations for the elderly in connection with the drafting and publication of a book advising custodial grandparents of their rights and available government resources to assist in caring for their grandchildren.
- Has represented numerous pro bono clients in civil rights and housing litigation.
Memberships and Affiliations
- ABA Section of Antitrust Law
- Chair-Elect (2011-2012)
- Vice Chair (2010-2011)
- International Officer (2009-2010)
- University of Virginia School of Law, Co-Teacher of antitrust seminar since the early 1980s
Publications and Speeches