- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2010
- cum laude
- Georgetown Journal of Law and Modern Critical Race Perspectives, Managing Editor
- American University in Cairo, 2006
- Center for Arabic Study Abroad
- Harvard University, B.A., 2005
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
Thomas Odell is an associate in the firm’s New York office. His practice focuses on international arbitration and litigation. Mr. Odell has represented clients in international commercial arbitrations administered by the ICDR, ICC, and LCIA, and in award confirmation proceedings in the United States, as well as in domestic US arbitrations administered by the AAA. Mr. Odell has also represented institutions in general commercial litigation, and has provided advice on the Bahraini penal code in connection with a foreign criminal proceeding.
As a Fulbright fellow living in Damascus, Syria, from Fall 2010 to Spring 2011, Mr. Odell conducted independent research on new Syrian legislation governing foreign direct investment, corporate law, and arbitration.
- The South American subsidiary of a mining company in an ICDR arbitration commenced under an EPC contract for the construction of a transmission line.
- The Peruvian subsidiary of a Chinese mining company, in an ICC arbitration for breach of a contract governed by the New York UCC.
- Two Brazilian companies involved in construction, operation and maintenance of electric power plants in Brazil in an ICC arbitration commenced by a multinational equipment manufacturer and governed by the New York UCC.
- A South American mining company in a dispute arising out of a New York law governed EPC contract in connection with the construction of a major mining project.
- A state-owned oil company in ICC and LCIA arbitrations arising out of the construction of a gas-to-liquid plant in the Caribbean. Obtained a favorable award of specific performance, costs, and interest in the ICC arbitration and dismissal of all claims asserted against our client in the LCIA arbitration.
- The assignee of a foreign arbitral award in US confirmation proceedings in the District of Columbia, at the District, Circuit, and Supreme Court levels.
- A New York hedge fund in the successful defense of a AAA arbitration against an investment research firm.
- Associate in the international arbitration group of a major international law firm (2012-2013).
- Fulbright fellow, Damascus, Syria (2010-2011)
- Represented Yemeni detainees in Guantanamo Bay.
- Briefed and argued an Article 78 appeal before the Appellate Division, First Department, challenging an agency decision terminating the public housing tenancy of a single mother and her two children.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Publications and Speeches
- "Law No. 4 (2008) Concerning Arbitration in Civil, Economic, and Commercial Dispute (Translation)," The Syria Report (Spring 2011), Author
- "Legislative Decree No. 8 (2007) (Translation)," The Syria Report (Spring 2011), Author
- "Family Corporation and Assets Reassessment Law No. 61 (2007) (Translation)," The Syria Report (Spring 2011), Author