- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2010
- cum laude
- Georgetown Journal of Law and Modern Critical Race Perspectives, Managing Editor
- American University in Cairo, 2006
- Center for Arabic Study Abroad
- Harvard University, B.A., 2005
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
Thomas Odell is an associate in the firm’s New York office. His practice focuses on international arbitration and litigation. Mr. Odell has represented clients in international commercial arbitrations under the ICC and LCIA rules, and award confirmation proceedings in the United States. Mr. Odell has also represented institutions in general commercial litigation, and has provided advice on the Bahraini penal code in connection with a foreign criminal proceeding.
As a Fulbright fellow living in Damascus, Syria, from Fall 2010 to Spring 2011, Mr. Odell conducted independent research on new Syrian legislation governing foreign direct investment, corporate law, and arbitration.
- State-owned oil company in ICC and LCIA arbitrations arising out of construction of gas-to-liquid plant in the Caribbean. Obtained favorable award of specific performance, costs, and interest in ICC arbitration.
- Assignee of a foreign arbitral award in US confirmation proceedings in the District of Columbia, at the District, Circuit, and Supreme Court levels.
- Two Brazilian companies involved in construction, operation and maintenance of electric power plants in Brazil in ICC arbitration commenced by multinational equipment manufacturer.
- Supplier of liquefied natural gas in price review arbitration.
- Associate in the international arbitration group of a major international law firm (2012-2013).
- Fulbright fellow, Damascus, Syria (2010-2011)
- Mr. Odell has represented Yemeni detainees in Guantanamo Bay.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Publications and Speeches
- "Law No. 4 (2008) Concerning Arbitration in Civil, Economic, and Commercial Dispute (Translation)," The Syria Report (Spring 2011), Author
- "Legislative Decree No. 8 (2007) (Translation)," The Syria Report (Spring 2011), Author
- "Family Corporation and Assets Reassessment Law No. 61 (2007) (Translation)," The Syria Report (Spring 2011), Author