Stanley Young is a partner in the firm’s Silicon Valley office, of which he was Managing Partner from 2008 to 2014. He specializes in litigating intellectual property disputes in federal and state courts and the International Trade Commission. His clients have included companies in the telecommunications, computer, electronics, semiconductor, software, financial services and other industries. In 2014, he was listed in Best Lawyers in America for patent litigation and was named a California Lawyer magazine Attorney of the Year.
- Motorola v. Lemko, et al. and Huawei v. Motorola (N.D. Ill.). Represented Huawei Technologies in trade secret lawsuits against Motorola Solutions involving wireless base station technology; obtained a preliminary injunction preventing the transfer of confidential information in the context of a corporate acquisition.
- Safeclick LLC v. Visa International Service Association and Visa U.S.A., Inc. (N.D. Cal.). Represented defendants in a lawsuit over a patent alleged to cover the Verified by Visa service for authenticating the identity of a payment cardholder in an on-line transaction. Defendants won summary judgment of non-infringement. The judgment was affirmed on appeal.
- O2 Micro v. Beyond Innovation (BiTEK), 521 F.3d 1351 (Fed. Cir. 2008). Represented appellant in overturning on appeal a verdict of infringement of three patents asserted against inverter controllers used in the backlighting of LCD screens.
- Atmel Corporation v. Silicon Storage Technology (N.D. Cal.). Represented plaintiff in patent infringement case involving semiconductor technology. Jury trial resulted in judgment of more than $36 million in client's favor, which was affirmed on appeal.
- In re Certain Light-Emitting Diodes And Products Containing Same, ITC Investigation 337-TA-785. Defended Samsung Electronics in International Trade Commission litigation over patents on light conversion techniques and LED package structures.
- International Trade Commission Investigations re Wireless Devices with 3G and/or 4G Capabilities, Nos. 337-TA-800 and 337-TA-868, and related Federal District Court Cases in Delaware. Defended Huawei Technologies in litigation brought by InterDigital over patents on wireless communications technologies.
- In re Certain Electronic Devices, Including Handheld Wireless Communications Devices, Investigations Nos. 337-TA-667 and 337-TA-673. Represented Samsung in an International Trade Commission investigation involving patents on interrupt control circuitry and interprocessor communications asserted against cell phones and televisions.
- In re Certain Flash Memory Controllers, Drives, Memory Cards, and Media Players and Products Containing Same, Investigation No. 337-TA-619. Represented several respondents in an International Trade Commission action relating to patents asserted against flash memory controllers and devices, brought by SanDisk Corporation.
- MedioStream, Inc. v. Acer America, et al. (E.D. Tex.). Represented DVD authoring software manufacturer Sonic Solutions in defending lawsuit involving patents on recording video onto disc, as well as trade secret and other claims.
- Disc Link Corporation v. Oracle Corporation, et al. (E.D. Tex.). Defended seven companies against patent that was asserted against CD-Roms containing software with links to websites.
- QUALCOMM Corporation v. Broadcom Corporation (S.D. Cal.). Represented wireless communications technology company in patent litigation over patents on video compression and wireless communications technologies.
Honors and Rankings
- Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Patent (2014)
- Named by California Lawyer magazine as an Attorney of the Year in 2014 for success in pro bono civil rights case Ortega Melendres v. Arpaio (D. Ariz.).
- Legal 500 US, Intellectual Property - Patent Litigation: International Trade Commission and Litigation - Trade Secrets (2012)
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of California
Publications and Speeches
- "Essential Questions About Standard-Essential Patents," 13th Annual Advanced Patent Law Institute (2012)
- "Trial Lawyer Panel," Conference on Evolving Damages Law sponsored by the Berkeley Center for Law & Technology & The Federal Circuit Bar Association (2010)
- "Intellectual Property Protection in China," Innovations in IP Litigation Spring Briefing (2006)