Stephen Satterfield is an associate in the firm’s Washington, DC office and a member of the Privacy and Data Security practice group. He counsels clients on the legal and policy issues surrounding online marketing, social media, and other emerging digital technologies. He has advised some of the world’s leading technology, media, and financial services companies in their implementation of consumer privacy protections.
In addition to his advisory practice, Mr. Satterfield has been involved in a number of the firm’s privacy litigation matters. He has successfully represented Microsoft, AOL, CBS, The Huffington Post, McDonald’s, and Mazda in obtaining dismissals of putative class action lawsuits that asserted federal law claims under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, Video Privacy Protection Act, and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, as well as state law claims for unfair and deceptive trade practices, trespass, and invasion of privacy.
Mr. Satterfield also has represented companies before the Federal Trade Commission and in connection with investigations by privacy self-regulatory organizations, such as the Digital Advertising Alliance and the Network Advertising Initiative.
In the area of data security, Mr. Satterfield works with clients on the development of incident response procedures and compliance with federal and state security and breach notice requirements, as well as on transactional matters involving the transfer of personal information.
- Representing a Fortune 50 technology company in a putative class action alleging wrongful collection of geolocation information from mobile device users.
- Representing a leading retailer in litigation under the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act.
- Represented a leading social media provider in Federal Trade Commission and Department of Commerce proceedings to develop frameworks for regulating privacy in the US.
- Represented a major software company, a major media company, and two major consumer goods companies in a putative class action alleging improper use of Internet tracking technologies for advertising purposes.
- Negotiated agreements with Web analytics and advertising companies on behalf of a major online publisher.
- Advise leading provider of online video content on compliance with the Video Privacy Protection Act.
- Advise clients on compliance with self-regulatory regimes, including the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising and the Network Advertising Initiative’s Code of Conduct.
- Represented juvenile in state court attempted murder prosecution.
- Advised not-for-profit microfinance organization on data security policies.
Memberships and Affiliations
- ABA Antitrust Section, Privacy and Information Security Committee.
- ABA Science and Technology Section, e-Privacy Committee.
- International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Publications and Speeches