Simone E. Ross is a litigator who skillfully manages complex criminal investigations and civil litigation for corporate and individual clients in a number of industries, including the pharmaceutical, financial, energy, and defense, homeland, and national security sectors. Ms. Ross specializes in white collar criminal defense, corporate internal investigations, and complex civil litigation. She has represented clients in parallel criminal and civil proceedings conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, and other federal and state agencies, as well as in congressional investigations. She also has represented clients in litigation matters involving business torts, civil fraud, product liability, and employment disputes.
Ms. Ross previously served in the U.S. Department of Justice as an Assistant United States Attorney in the District of Columbia, where she tried and argued criminal cases in the local and federal courts of the District of Columbia, and as an Assistant Counsel in the Office of Professional Responsibility, where she investigated allegations of prosecutorial misconduct.
- Represent individuals and major corporations in various industry sectors in matters under investigation by the Department of Justice and Congress, including pharmaceutical and medical device companies, energy providers, and financial institutions targeted in oversight, ethics, and other investigations.
- Represent pharmaceutical companies in investigations by the Department of Justice into sales and marketing activities involving alleged violations of the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, the Anti-Kickback Statute, the False Claims Act, and other federal statutes.
- Counsel major pharmaceutical and medical device companies in civil qui tam and employment litigation with potential collateral consequences in government investigations.
- Successfully defended a former Department of Justice official by obtaining full exoneration in independent and internal investigations by a Special Prosecutor and DOJ-OPR, respectively, of alleged prosecutorial misconduct.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a financial services institution in connection with U.S. Treasury Department review of alleged violations of anti-money laundering laws.
- Conducted a comprehensive review, including an internal investigation of alleged corporate and employee misconduct, of an international consumer products supplier’s compliance with U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration regulations.
- Represented a defense contractor in civil proceedings, including injunctive actions, to enforce non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, and in the negotiation and settlement of other employment disputes.
- Reviewed a multinational pharmaceutical company’s business conduct policy and compliance plan with respect to federal, state, and local laws governing the company’s operations.
- Represented a health care provider in a civil fraud action.
- U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Professional Responsibility, Assistant Counsel (2002-2007). Investigated professional misconduct allegations made against federal prosecutors and other Justice Department attorneys relating to prosecutions of terrorism, corporate fraud, narcotics trafficking, money laundering, and other alleged criminal activities.
- U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia, Assistant U.S. Attorney (1997-1998). Tried criminal cases in D.C. Superior Court, and briefed and argued criminal appeals before the D.C. Circuit and the D.C. Court of Appeals.
Honors and Rankings
- Meritorious Award for Sustained Superior Performance, U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Professional Responsibility (2003-2007)
- Represent non-profit entities in responding to confidential and sensitive data requests from law enforcement agencies.
- Represented a major, health care provider in a matter involving theft of proprietary information and coordination with cross-jurisdictional law enforcement.
- Represented a Florida death-row inmate in post-conviction proceedings that culminated in a reversal of his convictions.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Second District (D.C. Metropolitan Police Department) Citizens Advisory Council, Member
- Chevy Chase Citizens Association, Member
- Stanford University Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Volunteer
Publications and Speeches