Nearly A Century as a Leading Global Business Advisor
Founded nearly a century ago in Washington, DC, Covington & Burling LLP today is recognized as a leading international law firm, with more than 850 lawyers practicing in Beijing, Brussels, London, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Shanghai, Silicon Valley, and Washington.
Covington is highly regarded for the global scope and breadth of its international practices and its strong history of advising clients in a broad range of regulated industries. The firm has a distinguished reputation of providing innovative solutions to its clients. Our Foreign Legal Consultant Office in Seoul will enhance our ability to serve as legal and business advisors on projects presenting novel, complex issues with global scope. We believe we will significantly improve the current options for Korean and non-Korean businesses seeking sophisticated legal, business, policy and regulatory advice.
We offer our clients:
- Distinguished international policy advisors with deep expertise and high-level contacts in the markets of significant interest to businesses seeking new opportunities in Asia, the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, India and Africa.
- Outstanding and experienced lawyers who have successfully helped clients do business in key international markets.
- Strong relationships with high quality law firms located in key countries and regions.
Covington’s ability to develop legal strategies, informed by a deep understanding of the policy context within which business problems may arise, allows us to provide effective and complete advice to our clients. We call our approach “law plus.” Our clients view us as strategic partners who can help them plan significant business ventures beyond their domestic and mature international markets. They see our understanding of the legal, business, policy and political parameters affecting their key business ventures as critical elements in the ultimate success of a cross-border business opportunity. We work both as lawyers and as strategic policy advisors identifying potential problems and issues in a given market and work closely with our clients to solve them.
We count among our ranks an impressive list of former officials and policymakers who possess deep subject matter expertise, a wide range of contacts and relationships and impressive knowledge about specific regions of growing interest to Korean companies. These include:
- Michael Chertoff - Former Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, former Assistant Attorney General for the Criminal Division of the U.S. Department of Justice, and former federal judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals
- Jean De Ruyt - Former Belgian Ambassador to the European Union and former Belgian Ambassador to the United Nations (New York)
- Stuart Eizenstat - Former US Deputy Treasury Secretary and former Ambassador to the EU in the Clinton Administration
- Alan Larson - Former Under Secretary of State for Economic and Agricultural Affairs in the Bush and Clinton Administrations
- Peter Lichtenbaum - Former Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Export Administration in the George W. Bush Administration
- Witney Schneidman - Former Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Africa in the Clinton Administration
- Daniel Spiegel - Former US Ambassador to the United Nations in Geneva in the Clinton Administration
- Tim Stratford - Former Assistant US Trade Representative for China in the Bush and Obama Administrations
- Arturo Valenzuela - Former Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs in the Obama Administration
- Wim van Velzen - Former Member of the European Parliament from Netherlands and Vice President of the European People’s Party
- John Veroneau - Former Deputy US Trade Representative in the George W. Bush Administration
Global Perspective - Korean Success
Our clients look to us for advice and judgment on a broad array of legal issues. For Korean and other Asian clients seeking to do business in the United States, Europe or elsewhere in the world, our lawyers can provide expert and specialized assistance in many areas, including with respect to:
- Patent litigation and the acquisition and licensing of intellectual property rights; securing and enforcement of patents, trademarks, and copyrights;
- Representation relating to anti-corruption laws, such as the US FCPA and the UK Bribery Act;
- Corporate and securities transactions and issues, including cross-border M&A, private equity, venture capital, securities, finance, and capital markets transactions, as well as related tax, merger approval, employment and bankruptcy matters;
- US, European and global competition law counseling, review and enforcement (including multi-jurisdictional cartels and merger clearance);
- US and European regulatory and compliance issues and transactions in a number of highly regulated industries, including pharmaceuticals, medical devices, telecommunications and media, transportation, energy and utilities, banking and financial services, chemicals, and food and alcoholic beverages, as well as environmental and natural resource law and regulation;
- US CFIUS (Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States) review and regulation of foreign investments in the US potentially affecting national security;
- Trade law and policy, including export controls, economic sanctions, customs and anti-dumping regulation, as well as matters involving bilateral and multilateral trade and investment treaties;
- The regulation of, and investment in, financial services operations in the US and Europe;
- Litigation, dispute resolution and arbitration proceedings; and
- Analysis of US and European public policy, legislative and regulatory initiatives affecting the industries in which our clients operate, and related government liaison work.
Our office in Seoul builds upon our tradition of serving as legal, policy and business advisors on projects presenting novel, complex issues with global scope.
In the News
Covington Opens Los Angeles Office
Covington Receives Top Rankings from Chambers Global
Law360 Names Covington’s Media & Entertainment Practice One of Year’s Best