Clients come to Stephen Anthony with their most pressing and complex litigation matters, including those that have a high likelihood of going to trial. A trial lawyer who has tried 33 cases before juries, he has handled cases ranging from civil litigation over multi-billion-dollar financial frauds to complex criminal trials involving allegations of bribery, fraud, and obstruction of justice. In recent Chambers USA editions, clients and peers have described him as “terrific,” “extremely talented,” and “a lawyer of outstanding quality, in terms of knowledge, skill and litigation judgment.”
Currently the deputy chair of Covington’s global litigation practice, Mr. Anthony has managed complex civil litigation involving commercial disputes, insurance coverage, intellectual property, and business torts, as well as complex criminal investigations.
A former federal prosecutor who returned to private practice in 2000, Mr. Anthony has represented corporations and individuals in government investigations of allegations such as accounting fraud, consumer fraud, international trade control violations, violations of laws governing the manufacture and marketing of pharmaceutical products, and violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. He advises clients on a range of issues relating to FCPA compliance. He helps companies design, implement, and review compliance programs. On behalf of numerous business entities and other institutions, he has conducted internal investigations involving a wide variety of allegations including accounting fraud, conflicts of interest, and securities violations.
In eight years as an Assistant U.S. Attorney and three years as a Trial Attorney in the Public Integrity Section of the Criminal Division of the U.S. Department of Justice, Mr. Anthony prosecuted cases involving bribery, extortion, obstruction of justice, false statements, tax offenses, and mail/wire fraud.
He is recognized as a leading advocate by Euromoney's Best of the Best USA, Best Lawyers in America, Washington DC Super Lawyers, and Chambers USA.
- Defended Gilead Sciences, Inc. in a government investigation concerning the marketing and promotion of several prescription drugs, resulting in the declination by the U.S. Department of Justice to intervene in several related qui tam cases.
- Defended Leiner Health Products Inc. in a criminal prosecution of alleged violations of current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMPs) relating to the manufacture of over-the-counter drugs.
- Representing a major diversified healthcare company in congressional hearings and other government investigations into recalls of over-the-counter drugs.
- Defended JPMorgan Chase & Co. in civil litigation and related government investigations arising out of the default of $2 billion in asset-backed securities issued by National Century Financial Enterprises, Inc.
- Successfully defended the Lieutenant Governor of American Samoa by obtaining a hung jury and subsequent dismissal of the indictment in a complex jury trial involving conspiracy, fraud, bribery, and obstruction charges.
- Defended the former Chief Financial Officer of a real estate investment trust in an SEC investigation of alleged accounting irregularities, resulting in the Enforcement Division’s decision not to recommend any enforcement action.
- Defended a former analyst of the Defense Intelligence Agency in an investigation of allegations of improper disclosures of classified information.
- Obtained summary judgment for a leading manufacturer in a qui tam action alleging the sale of defective products to the U.S. Army.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a leading IT company regarding allegations of misconduct by its Chief Executive officer.
- Represented a Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Adelphia Communications Corp. in connection with widely publicized allegations of mismanagement by the company’s senior executives.
- U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Division, Public Integrity Section, Trial Attorney (1996-2000)
- Assistant US Attorney, District of Columbia (1991-1996)
Honors and Rankings
- Chambers USA, White Collar Crime and Government Investigations (2011-2013)
- Best Lawyers in America, White-Collar Criminal Defense (2008-2014)
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, Criminal Defense: White Collar (2011-2013)
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Star - District of Columbia (2013-2014)
- The Best of the Best USA, White Collar Crime (2009, 2011, 2013)
Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
Memberships and Affiliations
- Assistant United States Attorneys' Association of the District of Columbia, Board Member
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section
- Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court, Barrister
Publications and Speeches