Richard Mattick advises and represents clients in connection with the resolution of disputes in a variety of fields, with particular emphasis on insurance and contractual disputes, as well as acting for clients in relation to export controls matters. The latest edition of Legal 500 UK (2013) describes him as a “first rate lawyer, who fights his corner hard.” Chambers UK (2014) notes that “he is extremely diligent and hard-working, and gives good advice. He's got a very good eye for detail."
Mr. Mattick has extensive experience of acting for policyholders in English Court proceedings and London arbitrations in the insurance coverage field, including handling the first two successful challenges to solvent schemes of arrangement. He also advises extensively on insurance issues, including advising on policy wordings, where he uses his extensive experience of litigating wordings.
He has handled significant litigation on a number of topics before the English courts, including contractual disputes and product liability cases, proceedings involving complex jurisdictional issues, intellectual property actions and proceedings against directors and shareholders. He has also handled administrative law proceedings in respect of regulatory issues.
Mr. Mattick has represented clients in international arbitrations in London and elsewhere involving a variety of issues and in alternative dispute resolution procedures, where his accreditation as a mediator by CEDR has given him an additional insight into the process. He has also been active in international corporate investigations.
Mr. Mattick additionally advises clients in relation to various international trade issues, including UK export controls and economic sanctions as well as import-related issues and represents them in dealings with the regulators in cases of alleged regulatory breach.
He is a Solicitor-Advocate (Higher Court Civil Proceedings) and a CEDR-Accredited Mediator. He speaks fluent French, Portuguese and German, having been educated for 9 years at a French school in Portugal, and having read German alongside French at university before switching to Law.
- Represented a number of clients including Exxon Mobil Corporation, Goodrich, Goodyear and Textron in successfully opposing efforts by solvent London Market companies to use so-called "solvent schemes of arrangement" to curtail their coverage obligations to policyholders facing long-tail liabilities, such as asbestos, silica or environmental claims including handling the first two who successful challenges to proposed solvent schemes of arrangements for insurance carriers in the English High Court in the cases of In re The British Aviation Insurance Company Limited (“BAIC”) and In re Sovereign Marine & General Insurance Company Limited (“WFUM”).
- Represented Ryanair in proceedings before the Court of Appeal to stay an investigation by the Office of Fair Trading and contest that Office’s right to carry out an investigation due to time bar.
- Acted for a financial services company in successful proceedings to prevent the misuse of confidential information by a departing employee and a competitor.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in Commercial Court proceedings arising out of the sudden termination of the manufacture of products by a third party contractor.
- Represented Goodyear in an insurance coverage arbitration against a Bermuda Excess insurer in London.
- Acted for Pilkington in product liability insurance coverage litigation before the Commercial Court in London. Acted for Pilkington in an action in the English Commercial Court to recover compensation from its product liability insurers, having previously recovered successfully from its professional indemnity insurers. Case reported as Pilkington v. CGU Insurance.
Honors and Rankings
- Chambers Global, Insurance: Mainly Policyholders (2014)
- Chambers UK, Insurance - mainly policyholders (2012-2014)
- Super Lawyers - London, Civil Litigation (2013)
- Legal Experts UK (2010)
- PLC Which Lawyer?
- Dispute Resolution, England (2008-2012)
- Insurance, England (2010)
- Legal 500 UK
- Insurance Litigation for Policyholders (2008-2013)
- Commercial Litigation (2012)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Law Society of England and Wales
- British Insurance Law Association
- Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR)
- Solicitors’ European Group
- Eastcote Hockey and Badminton Club Limited, Company Secretary and Member of Management Committee
Publications and Speeches
- Panellist at various seminars on solvent schemes of arrangement and asbestos coverage.
- Panellist at Laurence Simons seminars for in-house counsel on various topics.