Rubén Kraiem is a corporate partner who advises clients with business interests in Latin America, as well as companies based in Latin America who are engaged in cross-border acquisitions or financings. Mr. Kraiem has been involved in many significant life sciences, banking and insurance-related acquisitions and joint ventures in Latin America, as well as transactions in industries as diverse as telecommunications, media, real estate development, healthcare, and consumer products. Mr. Kraiem is also co-chair of the firm's Clean Energy & Climate Industry Group.
- Advised Grupo Financiero Banorte, the Mexican financial group, and its affiliate Afore XXI Banorte in the $1.6 billion acquisition of Afore Bancomer from Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria (BBVA), the Spanish bank, to create Mexico’s largest pension fund. This matter was awarded LatinFinance’s 2013 “Domestic M&A Deal of the Year.”
- Advised Grupo Sura, the Colombian financial group, and its affiliate AFP Integra S.A. in the $516 million acquisition of 50% of AFP Horizonte S.A., the Peruvian pension fund, from BBVA. This matter received two M&A Atlas Awards: “Cross Border Deal of the Year (Large Markets)” and “South America Deal of the Year (Large Markets).”
- Advised GlaxoSmithKline in connection with its acquisition of Laboratorios Phoenix S.A. in Argentina.
- Advised Citigroup in connection with the merger of Citigroup’s Chilean operations with Banco de Chile and the acquisition of Banco de Chile’s branches in the United States.
- Advised Tonon Bioenergia S.A. of Brazil in connection with financing obtained from an international bank syndicate.
- Advised Brysam Global Partners in the acquisition of a minority equity interest in BCSC, S.A., a consumer finance company in Colombia.
- Advised AIG-GE Capital Latin American Infrastructure Fund in connection with several investments in (and eventual exit from) companies in Mexico including Axtel S.A. and Cablemás S.A.
Honors and Rankings
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Business Lawyers, Latin American Investment (2013-2014)
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Business Lawyers, Climate Change (2013)
- Chambers Global, Corporate M&A (Latin America) (2014-2015)
- Global M&A Network, Top 50: Americas M&A Star Dealmakers (2013)
- Legal 500, Latin American Investment (2014)
- Legal 500 Latin America, Corporate and M&A (2012)
- New York Super Lawyers, International, Business/Corporate, and Energy & Natural Resources (2012-2013)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Fordham Law School, Adjunct Professor (Climate Change Law & Policy 2006-2009)
- New York University Law School, Distinguished Scholar in Residence (2002-2003)
- Columbia University Business School, Adjunct Professor (1992-1994)
- Harvard College, Teaching Fellow (1980-1981)
- Natural Resources Defense Council, Honorary Trustee
- Resources for the Future, Council Member
Publications and Speeches
- Frequently contributes articles to Examen, Latin Finance, LatinLaw, The Miami Herald, The Houston Chronicle, the Asian Wall Street Journal, Crítica, and (with Stuart Eizenstat) in Foreign Policy.