Roderick DeArment has a broad-based practice handling legislative and regulatory matters for clients in areas including tax, employee benefits, healthcare, labor law, financial services, and international trade.
Drawing on his extensive legislative and executive branch leadership experience, Mr. DeArment offers clients substantive law expertise and skilled advice on comprehensive strategy, policy development, and legislative procedure. During his years of practice, he has drafted numerous bills, advocacy papers and witness statements and has a proven track record in assisting clients in getting legislation enacted. He has assisted clients in Congressional investigations before a number of Committees. Mr. DeArment has assisted clients in the successful resolution of many complex ERISA fiduciary matters before the U.S. Department of Labor.
Overall, Mr. DeArment has been a highly successful advocate in achieving clients’ objectives both on the Hill and before regulatory agencies.
- John Hancock Financial Services on tax, ERISA, long-term care, and other insurance matters.
- Alcatel Lucent on pension reform and on amendments to Section 420.
- Land Trust Alliance on conservation tax incentives and reform of tax appraisals.
- American Watch Association on international trade tax and other matters.
- The Coalition of Boston Teaching Hospitals on Medicare reimbursement and other health care matters.
- Ally Financial on Congressional oversight and other matters.
- U.S. Department of Labor, Deputy Secretary of Labor (1989-1991)
- Office of the U.S. Senate Majority Leader, Chief of Staff (1985-1986)
- U.S. Senate Committee on Finance, Chief Counsel and Staff Director (1983-1985)
- U.S. Senate Committee on Finance, Deputy Chief Counsel (1981-1982)
- U.S. Senate Committee on Finance, Deputy Chief Minority Counsel (1979-1981)
Honors and Rankings
- Best Lawyers in America, Government Relations and Tax Law (2007-2013)
- Chambers USA, Government Relations (2010-2012)
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers (2008-2010)
- Legal 500 US, Employee Benefits (2008)
- The Washingtonian, Best Lawyers - Tax (2006)
- Longtime advocate for the homeless; helped secure enactment of the Stewart B. McKinney Homeless Assistance Act
Memberships and Affiliations
- Textile Museum, Treasurer, Board of Directors
- American Forests, Treasurer, Board of Directors
Publications and Speeches
- University of Virginia Tax Study Group, regular speaker