When clients are faced with bet-the-business litigation, they turn to trial lawyer Robert “Mike” Brock. Chair of Covington’s Product Liability and Mass Torts Practice, and a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers with twenty five years of trial experience. His peers have commented that he, “is just a first-class trial lawyer; he is the kind of guy that clients call to try the big cases.”
In perhaps the most high-profile, high-stakes litigation in recent history, BP selected Mike Brock to serve as its lead trial lawyer in the Deepwater Horizon oil spill litigation. Mr. Brock’s trial performance has been widely applauded and covered in the press. According to the one legal professional quoted in the Financial Times, he delivered “one of the most methodical and skillful cross-examinations I have seen since John Keker cross-examined Ollie North in one of the Iran-Contra trials in 1989.”
As a trial lawyer, much of Mr. Brock’s practice focuses on the representation of pharmaceutical and life sciences companies in defending product liability lawsuits. He recently won jury verdicts for Merck in a Fosamax case in New York City and for AstraZeneca in its first Seroquel lawsuit in New Brunswick, NJ. He also served as lead trial counsel to Merck in Vioxx cases securing jury verdicts in Alabama, California, Florida, and New Jersey. Mr. Brock currently serves as national trial counsel for a number of major pharmaceutical companies facing mass tort claims.
Throughout his career, Mike Brock has tried cases in a wide range of areas and has represented clients in antitrust, malpractice, toxic tort, as well as in other types of cases.
- In re: Oil Spill by the Oil Rig Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf of Mexico April 20, 2010 (MDL 2179) - Lead trial counsel for BP in the Deepwater Horizon oil spill litigation. In the civil litigation trial that began on February 25, 2013, Mr. Brock led the trial team that defended BP from claims by the US Government, certain Gulf States, and various BP contractors.
- Peetz v. Genentech (pending in Nebraska federal court); and, Edmunds v. Genentech, Swenson v. Genentech, Estes v. Genentech, Howard v. Genentech (pending in Middlesex County, Massachusetts) - Mr. Brock currently represents Genentech in litigation involving it's medicine Rituxan.
- Mary Jo Barnes v. Merck & Co. - Mr. Brock serves as national trial counsel for Merck in the company’s Fosamax litigation. The Fosamax litigation currently involves thousands of plaintiffs, and is currently subject to two Multi-District Litigations -- one addressing cases alleging osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) (Graves) and another involving lawsuits alleging femur fractures that is slated to be tried in Alabama in 2013 (Barnes).
- Graves v. Merck & Co., Inc. (November 2010, Southern District of New York) - Lead Trial Counsel in three week Fosamax trial resulting in defense verdict.
- Baker v. AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP (March 2010, Middlesex County, New Brunswick, New Jersey) - Trial Counsel in the first Seroquel case, resulting in defense verdict after four-week trial.
- Kozic v. Merck & Co., Inc. (October 2007, Hillsboro County, Tampa, Florida) - Lead Trial Counsel in the last Vioxx case to be tried, resulting in defense verdict after three-week jury trial.
- Albright v. Merck & Co., Inc. (December 2006, Jefferson County, Alabama) - Lead Counsel in four-week trial that resulted in a defense verdict for Merck.
- Cona & McDarby v. Merck & Co., Inc. (April 2006, Atlantic County, New Jersey) - Trial Counsel in a seven week trial which resulted in defense verdict in Cona case led by Mr. Brock.
- Berwick v. Merck & Co., Inc. (March 2007, Los Angeles County, California) - Trial Counsel in case that was dismissed with prejudice during jury selection in March 2007.
Honors and Rankings
- Chambers USA, Product Liability (2009-2013)
- Best Lawyers in America, Product Liability (2013-2014)
- Legal 500 US, Product Liability & Mass Tort Defense - Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices (2012-2013)
- LMG Life Sciences Awards, shortlisted for Product Liability Attorney of the Year (2013)
- LMG Life Sciences, "Life Science Star" (2013)
- Benchmark Litigation, National Star (2013-2014)
- The Practical Law Company (PLC), Products Liability (2012)
Memberships and Affiliations
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), Member