Robert Amaee is a partner in Covington’s White Collar Defence and Investigations practice. He is recognized internationally as a leading white collar crime lawyer specializing in governmental and regulatory investigations. He advises companies and senior individuals on serious economic crime matters, internal investigations, disclosures to governmental and regulatory authorities and the development of effective compliance programs. According to Chambers UK 2014, “clients value his pragmatic and attentive manner.”
Before joining Covington, Dr. Amaee served as Head of Anti-Corruption and Head of Proceeds of Crime at the UK Serious Fraud Office, leading the investigation and prosecution of high-profile bribery and money laundering cases. He led the negotiations that resulted in civil settlements in the cases of Johnson & Johnson, MW Kellogg/KBR and Macmillan Publishers. He also served as the SFO’s Head of International Assistance working with governmental and regulatory agencies including the Financial Conduct Authority, City of London Police, the Crown Prosecution Service, the Ministry of Justice, the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, as well as International Financial Institutions, including the World Bank. He represented the SFO on the UK Attorney General's Working Group tasked with drafting the UK Bribery Act Prosecutors' Guidance, the UK Foreign Bribery Strategy Board and the Prosecutors’ forum at the OECD.
Dr. Amaee is admitted to practice as a barrister in England and Wales, and has defended and prosecuted cases in the UK criminal courts. He also has practical business experience having worked in business development roles across EMEA for VeriSign Inc. and APC Inc. Dr. Amaee holds a Ph.D. in medical research and a B.Sc. in life sciences.
- Interactions with the SFO in relation to its investigation into the alleged manipulation of LIBOR.
- Advising a multinational company on its referral of an allegation of wrongdoing to the SFO.
- Interactions with the World Bank following an internal investigation into allegations of corrupt and collusive behaviour by a European company.
- Internal investigation into a whistle-blower’s allegations of misrepresentations having been made to the company’s regulator and the markets
- Interacting with the Financial Conduct Authority in relation to suspected sanctions breaches by an FI.
- Internal investigation into a whistle-blower’s allegations of potential bribery of Healthcare Professionals.
- Assisting an overseas investor in a UK company to remove directors from the Board of the UK company, following discovery of a fraudulent scheme, including the securing of a freezing order and conduct of civil litigation.
- Assisting an energy company in its efforts to combat fraudsters that had used the company name; including investigative work and work to disable the fraud.
- Advising an energy company on the reporting obligations that arise under the UK Proceeds of Crime Act 2002, following an internal investigation.
- Conducting anti-corruption risk assessments and developing ABAC programs, including for an Indian company operating the construction sector, a US pharmaceuticals company looking to expand into new markets and a Japanese manufacturer with a global footprint.
- Head of the Anti-Corruption, Proceeds of Crime and International Assistance Units at the Serious Fraud Office, United Kingdom (2009-2011)
- Criminal Barrister at Chambers of Bill Clegg QC (2 Bedford Row) and Chambers of Clive Nicholls QC (3 Raymond Buildings) (2006-2009)
- Europe, Middle East & Africa territory business development roles at VeriSign Inc. (internet sector) and American Power Conversion Inc. (technology sector) (1995-2002)
Honors and Rankings
- Chambers UK, Corporate Crime & Investigations (2013-2014)
- PLC Which Lawyer?, Corporate Crime, England (2012)
- Legal 500 UK, Fraud - Civil (2012-2013)
- Legal 500 UK, Fraud - Corporate Crime (2013)
- Legal 500 UK, Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology (2011)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- The General Council of the Bar
Publications and Speeches
- Mr. Amaee was interviewed by Main Justice (October 2012), "Guidance on Self Reporting under the UK Bribery Act"
- Mr. Amaee participated in a roundtable discussion concerning how Bribery-Act compliant UK Plc is (originally published in Law Business Review, October 2011.)
- Mr. Amaee participated in a roundtable interview with New Law Journal (8/12/2011) on "How Bribery Act-compliant is UK Plc? "
- Mr. Amaee participated in an interview with Russia Today (7/1/2011) on "The UK Bribery Act."
- Mr. Amaee was interviewed by TrustLaw (June 2011), looking at the implications of the new UK Bribery Act.
- "Tone from the Top and the Middle: How to Energise Management around Ethics and Compliance," C5 Eighth London Anti-Corruption Conference (6/24/2014)
- "Practical tips for effectively interacting with the Serious Fraud Office," The 2nd Anti-Corruption and Fraud Prevention Congress (6/6/2014)
- "To what extent could future changes in anti-corruption and compliance legislation affect your business? Pre-acquisition due diligence: Auditing of third-parties," Mining Journal's Global Anti-Corruption & Compliance in Mining (5/28/2014)
Main Justice Interview - Guidance on Self Reporting under the UK Bribery Act, October 2012