Robert Amaee is a partner in the White Collar Defense and Investigations practice. He is recognized internationally as a leading white collar crime lawyer specializing in governmental and regulatory investigations. He advises companies and senior individuals on serious economic crime matters, internal investigations, disclosures to governmental and regulatory authorities and the development of effective compliance programs. According to Chambers UK 2015, “clients appreciate his approachable manner and extensive experience in the area."
Before joining Covington, Dr. Amaee served as Head of Anti-Corruption and Head of Proceeds of Crime at the UK Serious Fraud Office, leading the investigation and prosecution of high-profile bribery and money laundering cases. He led the negotiations that resulted in civil settlements in the cases of Johnson & Johnson, MW Kellogg/KBR and Macmillan Publishers. He also served as the SFO’s Head of International Assistance working with agencies including the Financial Conduct Authority, City of London Police, the Crown Prosecution Service, the Ministry of Justice, the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, as well as International Financial Institutions, including the World Bank. He represented the SFO on the UK Attorney General's Working Group tasked with drafting the UK Bribery Act Prosecutors' Guidance, the UK Foreign Bribery Strategy Board and the Prosecutors’ forum at the OECD.
Dr. Amaee is admitted to practice as a barrister in England and Wales, and has defended and prosecuted cases in the UK criminal courts. He also has practical business experience having worked in senior business development roles across EMEA for VeriSign Inc. and APC Inc. Dr. Amaee holds a Ph.D. in medical research and a B.Sc. in life sciences.
- Internal investigation into a whistle-blower’s allegation that material misrepresentations had been made to the company’s regulator and the markets.
- Internal investigation into a suspected serious fraud perpetrated against the joint venture entity of a client by one of its senior employees.
- Internal investigation into a whistle-blower’s allegations of systematic bribery of Healthcare Professionals.
- Interacting with the SFO in relation to its investigation into the alleged manipulation of LIBOR.
- Advising a multinational company on its referral of an allegation of wrongdoing to the SFO.
- Interacting with the World Bank following an internal investigation into allegations of corrupt and collusive behaviour by a European company.
- Interacting with the Financial Conduct Authority in relation to suspected sanctions breaches by an FI.
- Advising an acquirer (a US company) on the post-acquisition anti-corruption and proceeds of crime exposure from the historic and ongoing activities of the acquired entity, and remedial steps.
- Advising a private equity company on its proceeds of crime reporting options and obligations following discovery of suspected criminal activity within a portfolio company.
- Assisting an overseas investor in a UK company to remove directors suspected of fraud from the company, securing freezing orders against the directors, and referral to the police.
- Assisting an energy company in its efforts to combat fraudsters that had used the company name; including investigative work and work to disable the fraud.
- Advising an energy company on its reporting obligations under the UK proceeds of crime legislation arising following an internal investigation.
- Conducting risk assessments and developing compliance programs, including for an Indian company operating the construction sector, a US pharmaceuticals company expanding into new markets, an energy company operating in high risk jurisdictions, and a Japanese manufacturer with a global footprint.
- Head of the Anti-Corruption, Proceeds of Crime and International Assistance Units at the Serious Fraud Office, United Kingdom (2009-2011)
- Criminal Barrister at Chambers of Bill Clegg QC (2 Bedford Row) and Chambers of Clive Nicholls QC (3 Raymond Buildings) (2006-2009)
- Europe, Middle East & Africa territory business development roles at VeriSign Inc. (internet sector) and American Power Conversion Inc. (technology sector) (1995-2002)
Honors and Rankings
- Chambers UK, Financial Crime: Corporates (2013-2015)
- PLC Which Lawyer?, Corporate Crime, England (2012)
- Legal 500 UK, Fraud - Corporate Crime (2013-2014)
- Legal 500 UK, Fraud - Civil (2012-2013)
- Legal 500 UK, Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology (2011)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- The General Council of the Bar
Publications and Speeches
- Mr. Amaee was interviewed by Main Justice (October 2012), "Guidance on Self Reporting under the UK Bribery Act"
- Mr. Amaee participated in a roundtable discussion concerning how Bribery-Act compliant UK Plc is (originally published in Law Business Review, October 2011.)
- Mr. Amaee participated in a roundtable interview with New Law Journal (8/12/2011) on "How Bribery Act-compliant is UK Plc? "
- Mr. Amaee participated in an interview with Russia Today (7/1/2011) on "The UK Bribery Act."
- Mr. Amaee was interviewed by TrustLaw (June 2011), looking at the implications of the new UK Bribery Act.
Main Justice Interview - Guidance on Self Reporting under the UK Bribery Act, October 2012