For over 40 years, Peter Trooboff has practiced in the field of international trade and investment and has advised, written about and lectured internationally on issues relating to transnational litigation including service of process, taking evidence, proof of foreign law and enforcement of judgments. He has assisted governments and private multinational clients with regulatory, compliance, investigation and enforcement issues arising under US foreign trade controls including those administered by the Commerce, Treasury, State and Energy Departments. Mr. Trooboff has also been heavily involved in international arbitral proceedings arising from claims based on international law including principles of state responsibility.
- Supervised a number of major investigations of violations of US foreign trade controls by US and non-US multinational corporations.
- Advised multinational companies on defenses under national law to assertions of personal jurisdiction by non-US courts and on grounds for denial of enforcement of US enforcement of judgments by foreign courts.
- Served as one of the three arbitrators in a claim before the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), Compañía de Aguas del Aconquija, S.A. & Compagnie Générale des Eaux v. Argentine Republic (Case No. ARB/97/3).
- Acted as co-counsel to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan in the ICSID case, JacobsGibb Limited v. Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan (Case No. ARB/02/12, and ATA Construction, Industrial and Trading Company v. Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan (Case No. ARB/08/02)).
- Pro bono counsel to a group of American citizens in presenting through the U.S. Department of State claims for past and future cost-of-living adjustments due under the colonial (Belgium Congo) pension system of the Government of the Kingdom of Belgium.
Honors and Rankings
- Theberge Award for Private International Law, ABA International Section (2010)
- Best Lawyers in America, "Washington International Trade and Finance Lawyer of the Year" (2014)
- Best Lawyers in America for International Trade and Finance Law (2008-2014)
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers, International, Alternative Dispute Resolution (2007-2012)
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Business Lawyers for International Trade/Export Controls & Economic Sanctions (2008-2013)
- Who's Who Legal, Arbitration
- The International Who's Who of Commercial Arbitration Lawyers (2008)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Curatorium, Hague Academy of International Law, Member (1991-present)
- American Society of International Law, President (1990-1992)
- American Journal of International Law, Honorary Editor, Board of Editors (current)
- Member of delegation of the United States, Hague Conference on Private International Law (1996-2005; 2013)
- Delegate to the American Council of Learned Societies for the American Society of International Law (three terms to December 2013)
Publications and Speeches
- General Course - Private International Law, Hague Academy of International Law (Summer 2008) (to be published in Recueil des Cours)
- Regular column on International Legal Issues, National Law Journal