Whether in the boardroom or the courtroom, Covington is recognized as a premier white collar firm, with lawyers that possess an unsurpassed depth of expertise in the full range of white collar issues. Our lawyers have decades of experience with the regulators and enforcement authorities with whom our clients interact, and we have a reservoir of credibility that can be leveraged on behalf of our clients.
With one of the largest white collar practices in the world, we are one of the few firms with lawyers who recently held senior positions in both the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.K. Serious Fraud Office. Our team includes former senior SEC officials, a former Secretary of Homeland Security, three former heads of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division, former federal judges, numerous former federal prosecutors with extensive criminal trial experience, as well as former senior Treasury Department, State Department, and EU officials. Covington also has a deep bench of other highly experienced white collar lawyers who zealously defend clients in any type of white collar case.
We regularly manage complex matters that involve multiple jurisdictions and regulators, including anti-corruption, cartel, and trade controls matters. With offices in Washington, New York, San Francisco, London, Brussels, Beijing, Shanghai, and Seoul, and senior members of our white collar, regulatory, industry, privacy/data security, and eDiscovery practices on the ground in the Americas, Europe and Asia, we are uniquely positioned to provide seamless cross-border representation.
When legal and regulatory compliance issues arise, they often garner the attention of multiple regulators, enforcement authorities, and private litigants. We have extensive experience handling multi-regulator, multi-forum investigations and litigation, as well as the collateral issues that come along with them. Our ability to handle all aspects of complex matters — including internal and regulatory investigations, Congressional/Executive branch investigations, prosecutions of companies and their employees, crisis management, False Claims Act and whistleblower claims, and related tort or shareholder litigation — allows for a carefully coordinated and efficient response to corporate crises. We pride ourselves on handling our cases in a streamlined and cost-effective manner, utilizing our specialized legal and practical knowledge.
Industry and Regulatory Expertise
Investigations frequently require not only factual development and legal analysis, but also ongoing advice on a range of compliance issues. The lawyers in our white collar practice regularly work with colleagues in the firm’s regulatory, compliance, corporate, and government affairs practices to assist clients on such issues. With leading regulatory practices in the life sciences, financial institutions, securities, antitrust, CFTC/Dodd-Frank, trade controls, privacy/data security, energy and communications, we are uniquely positioned to offer “one stop shopping” to our clients.
- Represented GlaxoSmithKline (“GSK”) in resolving a complex criminal and civil investigation by the United States Department of Justice. The multi-faceted investigation had a broad focus, including issues relating to GSK’s sales and marketing practices for numerous products, its regulatory submissions relating to Avandia, and the company’s use of the nominal price exception under the Medicaid Rebate Program.
- Successfully defended civil claims brought by the SEC and FDIC against the former CEO of IndyMac BankCorp, Michael Perry, in connection with the bank’s failure in 2008. The cases were ultimately settled on very favorable terms. Relatedly, we represented Mr. Perry on insurance coverage issues concerning his defense.
- Represented United Technologies in settling a criminal and civil export controls matter with the United States Department of Justice and Department of State.
- National Law Journal, "Washington Litigation Department of the Year" (2013)
- Law360’s "Practice Group of the Year," White Collar (2011)
- Tammy Albarrán was recognized by Global Investigations Review, 40 Under 40
- Eric Carlson was recognized by Global Investigations Review, 40 Under 40
- Securities Docket recognized Bruce Baird and David Bayless on its inaugural "Enforcement 40" list (2013).
- Recognized as a Leading Anti-Corruption Practice by Latin Lawyer (2013)
- The Daily Journal, "Top 20 Under 40" (2012)
- Am Law Litigation Daily recognized Jean Veta as "Litigator of the Week" (12/20/2012).
- Best Lawyers in America, White Collar Criminal Defense (2013)
- Stephen Anthony, Bruce Baird, Nancy Kestenbaum, Mark Lynch, John Nields, Ethan Posner, and Alan Vinegrad
- Best Lawyers in America “Lawyer of the Year” (2012)
- David Bayless, Corporate Compliance Law, San Francisco
- Chambers USA, Firm - Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (2013)
- Stephen Anthony, John Nields, and Alan Vinegrad
- Chambers USA, Nationwide - Securities/Regulation/Enforcement (2013)
- Bruce Baird and David Kornblau
- Chambers USA, Firm (Nationwide) - Financial Services Regulation: Banking (Enforcement & Investigations) (2013)
- Stuart Stock and Jean Veta
- Chambers USA, Nationwide - International Trade/FCPA Experts (2013)
- Chambers UK, Financial Crime: Corporates (2013-2015)
- Robert Amaee and John Rupp
- Legal 500 US, White-Collar Criminal Defense (2012)
- Bruce Baird, Jason Criss, David Kornblau, Nancy Kestenbaum, Matthew O’Connor, and Alan Vinegrad
- Legal 500 US, Securities: Shareholder Litigation (2012)
- David Kornblau and William Phillips
- Legal 500 US, Financial Services: Litigation (2012)
- John Dugan, Keith Noreika, Stuart Stock, Jean Veta, Robert Wick, Sonya Winner, and Alan Wiseman
- Legal 500 UK, Fraud: Corporate Crime (2014)
- Corporate Crime - Robert Amaee, David Lorello, and John Rupp
- Who’s Who Legal, Business Crime Defence (2012)
- John Nields, Ethan Posner, Jason Raofield, and Alan Vinegrad
- Northern California Super Lawyers, Securities Litigation (2012)
- Tammy Albarrán and David Bayless
- Northern California Rising Stars, Securities Litigation (2012)
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, Criminal Defense - White Collar (2013)
- Stephen Anthony, Bruce Baird, Thomas Barnett, Christopher Denig, Donald Elliott, Deborah Garza, John Hall, Geoffrey Hobart, Robert Kelner, Ethan Posner, Elaine Stone, and Jean Veta
- The National Law Journal "Minority 40 Under 40" (2011)