Repeatedly ranked as having one of the best privacy practices in the world, Covington combines exceptional substantive expertise with an unrivaled understanding of the IT industry, and of e-commerce and digital media business models in particular. Our practice provides exceptional coverage of all of the substantive areas of privacy, including IT/technology, data security, financial privacy, health privacy, employment privacy, litigation and transactions. One of our core strengths is the ability to advise clients on relevant privacy and data security rules worldwide, and to help them structure globally valid compliance programs. Our privacy and data security lawyers in the United States, European Union (EU) and Asia have helped write landmark legislation, counseled clients on complex transactions, developed compliance strategies covering a wide variety of statutes and regulations, helped respond to numerous security breaches, authored or co-authored multiple treatises, and represented clients in investigations, enforcement actions, and litigation.
Many of our privacy and data security lawyers have extensive experience in complementary areas, which enables us to counsel clients thoughtfully and efficiently on the full checkerboard of privacy and security laws. Our attorneys have expertise not only in the IT industry, but also in the telecommunications, media, financial services, health care, labor and employment, and food and drug sectors. Our privacy and data security attorneys include litigators, transactional lawyers, and legislative and regulatory strategists with decades of high-level experience dealing with lawmakers and regulators.
- We have actively participated in legislative and regulatory efforts involving a range of privacy and data security issues, such as mobile and children’s privacy, cybersecurity, commercial e-mail, phishing, spyware, and identity theft, in the United States, the European Union, and several countries in Latin America and Asia.
- We regularly advise clients, including major software developers, significant social networks, top-ten Web publishing companies, and large advertising companies, on privacy issues relating to the rollout of leading new consumer products and services.
- We have worked closely with clients in multiple data breach issues, including a leading Internet company in responding to a data security incident involving the stolen personal information of hundreds of thousands of customers, including preparing notices to consumers and regulators, establishing fraud monitoring and tailored customer service, and working with federal and state officials to ensure compliance with applicable requirements and best practices (and to avoid lawsuits or enforcement actions).
- We advised a global pharma company on the data breach notification requirements in more than 80 countries, following a security breach affecting employees in Europe, Asia and the Americas.
- We advised a leading online company on risk management and affirmative strategies, including potential litigation options, in connection with the unauthorized use and disclosure of customer personal information by a third-party service provider. Based on our advice, the client was able to resolve the potentially difficult situation quickly and on favorable terms.
- We have helped numerous companies to develop global comprehensive privacy policies, facilitate international data transfers, and structured outsourcing arrangements in compliance with federal, state, EU, and other laws and best practices, including the US-EU Safe Harbor privacy framework.
- Law360's Practice Groups of the Year, Privacy & Consumer Protection (2011-2012)
- Ranked by Chambers Global as a leading Data Protection practice (2013-2014).
- Covington Privacy & Data Security partners, Mark Plotkin and David Fagan ranked by Chambers Global as a leading US lawyer (2013-2014).
- Ranked by Chambers Europe as a leading Data Protection practice (2014).
- Ranked by Chambers UK as a leading Data Protection practice (2013-2015).
- Covington Privacy and Data Security partner Daniel Cooper ranked by Chambers UK (2013-2015).
- Ranked by Chambers USA as a leading Privacy & Data Security practice (2013-2014).
- Ranked by Legal 500 EMEA as a leading EU Regulatory, Privacy and Data Protection practice (2013-2014).
- Covington Privacy and Data Security partner Henriette Tielemans ranked by Legal 500 EMEA (2013-2014).
- Ranked by Legal 500 US as a leading Data Protection and Privacy practice (2013-2014).
- Ranked by Legal 500 UK as a leading Data Protection practice (2013-2014).
- Covington Privacy & Data Security partner Daniel Cooper ranked by Legal 500 UK (2013-2014).
- Covington Privacy & Data Security partners, Kurt Wimmer, David Fagan, Eric Bosset, Mark Plotkin, Nigel Howard, Yaron Dori and Simon Frankel recognized by Legal 500 US (2013-2014).
- Legal 500 UK Awards 2014 - winner of the TMT: Data Protection category
- The Lawyer shortlisted our London technology and media group for its TMT Team of the Year Award (2013).
- Covington Privacy & Data Security partner, Eric Bosset named by Law360 as a MVP of the Year (2011).