The American Lawyer
"2014 Litigation Department of the Year" Finalist
The National Law Journal
& Legal Times
"2013 Washington Litigation
Department of the Year
- White Collar"
Global Arbitration Review
"2014 GAR 100"
2013 Insurance Policyholders
Covington litigators have a well-deserved reputation for handling novel, complex, and high-stakes disputes, across multiple disciplines and in multiple venues, against both private party litigants and government authorities.
Our clients turn to us for their toughest challenges – to handle bet-the-company intellectual property, antitrust, insurance coverage, and class action litigation; to defend against ever more aggressive enforcement actions by US, state, and foreign government agencies; and to tackle their most complicated international disputes.
By developing case themes early, focusing our discovery efforts on the key issues, and demonstrating the ability and drive to take the case to trial, we put our clients in the best position to win – whether through a verdict, a dispositive motion, or a negotiated resolution.
- Vast Trial Experience – Our senior litigators, which include six members of the American College of Trial Lawyers, have successfully tried hundreds of jury and bench trials.
- Regulatory and Industry Expertise – We have a leg up on our competition because of our ability to staff litigation matters with multi-disciplinary teams that take advantage of the firm’s market-leading regulatory practices and our deep expertise in the special characteristics and challenges of particular industries.
- Global Reach – Our litigators appear before national and international courts in Europe, state and federal courts and enforcement agencies throughout the US, and arbitral tribunals throughout the world; we also counsel our clients in cross-border disputes involving Europe, Asia, Africa, the Middle East, and the Americas, utilizing a trusted team of foreign lawyers and our own expert team of former diplomats and advisers.
- Savvy Case Management With a Focus on Value – We work in close collaboration with our clients to manage litigation efficiently; reduce and make costs more predictable through alternative fee arrangements; and find creative ways to resolve cases early.
- Broad Resources – Our litigation teams are strengthened by our extensive e-discovery capabilities, our technological resources for managing information and preparing trial exhibits, and our ability to collaborate efficiently across firm offices.
- BP selected Covington’s Mike Brock to serve as lead trial counsel in the high-stakes Deepwater Horizon oil spill trial, in which thousands of private-party plaintiffs, the United States, the states of Louisiana and Alabama, and three other companies in addition to BP, have squared off in a trial to allocate responsibility for the largest environmental disaster in US history.
- Covington successfully defended the former CEO of IndyMac in an SEC securities fraud case and FDIC lawsuit involving one of the most high-profile bank failures of the recent financial crisis. Covington’s dismantling of the SEC’s enforcement action and favorable settlement of the FDIC case prompted AmLaw Litigation Daily to name our partner Jean Veta “Litigator of the Week.”
- Covington represented Merck, Wal-Mart, CVS Caremark, and Walgreen at trial before the International Trade Commission in a patent infringement suit seeking to exclude from the US market Merck's blockbuster NuvaRing contraceptive product, preserving more than one-half billion dollars in annual sales.
- Exxon Mobil turned to Covington to pursue a multi-billion dollar ICSID arbitration against Venezuela arising out of the uncompensated expropriation of its subsidiaries’ entire investments in Venezuela.
- Covington was the lead firm representing GlaxoSmithKline in successfully resolving one of the largest criminal and civil investigations involving pharmaceutical industry marketing practices.
- The American Lawyer, "2014 Litigation Department of the Year" Finalist (2014)
- Litigation Department of the Year Finalist (2008), Honorable Mention (2010)
- National Law Journal, "Washington Litigation Department of the Year" (2013)
- The American Lawyer, winner of “Global Dispute of the Year - International Arbitration”award (2013)
- National Law Journal’s “Appellate Hot List” (2008-2009; 2011-2013)
- Law360, Insurance Group of the Year (2010 and 2013)
- GAR100, International Arbitration (2014)
- GAR30, International Arbitration (2013)
- The Lawyer, "Global Litigation Top 50" (2013)
- Latin Lawyer, recognized as a leading Anti-Corruption Practice (2013)
- Am Law Litigation Daily recognized Robert Wick as "Co-Litigator of the Week" (1/30/2014).
- Chambers USA
- Recognition of 43 litigators and 18 litigation practice groups (2013)
- Chambers Global
- USA - Recognition of 11 attorneys in 8 practice areas (2013)
- Europe-wide - Recognition of 2 attorneys in 1 practice areas (2013)
- Global-wide - Recognition of 2 attorneys in 1 practice areas (2013)
- Latin America-wide - Recognition of 2 attorneys in 1 practice areas (2013)
- Chambers UK
- Recognition of 10 attorneys in 5 practice areas (2014)
- Chambers Latin America
- Recognition of 2 attorneys in 1 practice areas (2013)
- “Award for Excellence,” shortlisted for International Arbitration: International Counsel in Latin America (2013)
- Chambers Europe
- Recognition of 2 attorneys in 1 practice area (2013)
- Legal 500 US
- Recognition of 14 litigation practice groups (2013)
- Legal 500 UK
- Recognition of 2 practice groups (2013)
- Legal 500 Latin America
- Recognition of 1 practice group (2013)
- Best Lawyers in America
- Recognition of 55 litigators in 26 areas of law (2014)
- Securities Docket recognized Bruce Baird and David Bayless on its inaugural "Enforcement 40" list (2013).
- Washington DC Super Lawyers
- Recognition of 67 attorneys in 12 practice areas (2013)
- NY Super Lawyers
- Recognition of 12 attorneys in 7 practice areas (2013)
- Northern California Super Lawyers
- Recognition of 29 attorneys in 9 practice areas (2013)
- Southern California Super Lawyers
- Recognition of 2 attorneys in 1 practice area (2014)
- Chambers USA Award for Excellence, Insurance (2007, 2009, 2010, 2012)
- Am Law Litigation Daily recognized Jean Veta as "Litigator of the Week" (12/20/2012).
- California Lawyer recognized Robert Haslam as "Attorney of the Year” (2012).