Covington has one of the most experienced and highly ranked anti-corruption teams in the world. Our global anti-corruption practice and several of our lawyers have been recognized in numerous rankings publications, including Chambers Global, Chambers USA, Chambers UK, Chambers Asia-Pacific, and Legal 500.
The firm’s expertise in this area dates back to the enactment of the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) in 1977. Covington was an early participant in legislative activities surrounding the drafting of the FCPA. More recently, we have been a leading voice in the private bar on US legislation and policy guidance relating to FCPA enforcement and compliance, as well as on new anti-corruption legislation around the world, such as the 2010 U.K. Bribery Act.
The world’s most sophisticated business organizations routinely turn to Covington for anti-corruption advice and investigative assistance. Our lawyers have handled matters in dozens of countries around the globe, including in Brazil, China, Eastern Europe, Germany, India, Indonesia, Mexico, the Middle East, Russia, South Korea, and the UK. We are one of the few firms in the world with lawyers who recently held senior positions in both the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.K. Serious Fraud Office, which enables us to offer highly sophisticated advice regarding the US and UK enforcement environments. We also are one of the few firms in the world to have a senior lawyer resident in China who focuses on anti-corruption counseling and investigations. Our counseling practice is distinguished by our ability to translate nuanced legal analysis into practical advice that makes sense to business clients. Across both counseling and investigations, our anti-corruption team is able to provide “24-hour” real-time support to our clients with seamless coordination across our global network of offices and local law firm relationships in the Americas, Europe, Asia, and Africa.
With more than 35 years of experience advising companies on the toughest compliance questions, conducting internal investigations, and helping to design and implement effective compliance programs, we have the experience and sophistication to guide clients through the prevailing climate of heightened enforcement.
Counseling and Compliance
- We provide ongoing anti-corruption advice to more than 70 global companies from around the world in a range of industries, including:
- Medical devices
- Other consumer products
- Aerospace and defense
- Oil and Gas
- Professional services
- Professional sports
- Performed anti-corruption risk assessments for more than 30 global enterprises, including several Fortune 50 companies.
- Developed global and regional anti-corruption programs and controls for companies in more than a dozen industries.
- Benchmarked existing compliance programs against emerging best practices.
- Assisted companies to establish monitoring and auditing programs for established compliance programs.
- Designed global risk-based anti-corruption training programs.
- Successfully obtained two FCPA Opinion Releases from the U.S. Department of Justice, including Release 10-02 , which provides the most recent authoritative guidance on making charitable contributions that are coerced by a host government.
- Chambers Global (2012)
- International Trade - China: Eric Carlson and Timothy Stratford
- Chambers USA (2012)
- International Trade/FCPA Experts (Nationwide): Don Ridings
- White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations: Stephen Anthony (DC) and Alan Vinegrad (NY)
- Securities Enforcement: Bruce Baird
- Chambers UK
- Corporate Crime & Investigations: Robert Amaee (2012)
- Fraud - Civil: John Rupp (2012-2013)
- Chambers Asia-Pacific (2012)
- International Trade - China: Eric Carlson
- Legal 500 UK (2012)
- Fraud - Civil: Robert Amaee, David Lorello, and John Rupp
- Fraud - Corporate Crime: Casey Cooper and John Rupp
- Legal 500 US (2012)
- White Collar Criminal Defense: Bruce Baird, Steven Fagell, James Garland, and Alan Vinegrad