Covington’s patent attorneys advise companies on a full range of patent portfolio management and transactional due diligence issues. We apply our technical and industry expertise and our knowledge of patent law to provide infringement, validity, and freedom-to-operate opinions. This advice is provided in a variety of contexts, including counseling on anticipated patent litigation, licensing of intellectual property, and at research and product development stages, as well as for marketed products. Our patent attorneys are uniquely qualified patent advisors as they also have deep experience in both patent litigation matters and transactional work.
We also regularly provide patent analysis as part of IP due diligence to assess the patent assets and liabilities of target companies in connection with an acquisition or merger. The breadth of the firm's corporate securities practice, and the teaming of intellectual property, regulatory, and corporate lawyers on such matters, helps to ensure that we provide comprehensive due diligence to clients. Our clients include major electronics, telecommunications, software, biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and chemical companies.
- Representation of Aristocrat Technologies, a leading global provider of gaming solutions, in its $1.28 billion acquisition of Video Gaming Technologies.
- Representation of a large energy and industrial conglomerate in patent due diligence relating to a potential multi-million dollar investment in a biofuels company.
- Patent due diligence of behalf of Procter & Gamble in the $3.1B sale of the global pharmaceuticals business to Warner Chilcott.
- Representation of King Pharmaceuticals in its $3.6 billion agreement to be acquired by Pfizer. We advised King on the transaction including King’s critically important patent and IP assets.
- Representation of Boehringer Ingelheim, and its US animal health business Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica, Inc., in its agreement with Pfizer to acquire certain assets of Wyeth’s Fort Dodge Animal Health business upon the closing of the global Pfizer-Wyeth merger. Covington represented Boehringer Ingelheim on the transaction, including IP due diligence.
- Representation of bidder in aborted divestiture of animal biologics and pharmaceutical products from Merial and Intervet Schering-Plough in the proposed but recently abandoned sale arising out of the Merck-Schering Plough merger and Merck’s proposed joint venture with Sanofi. Covington conducted the patent and intellectual property licensing due diligence.
- Patent due diligence on behalf of Procter & Gamble in a transaction with Inverness Medical Innovations to form the joint venture company, SPD Swiss Precision Diagnostics GmbH, a leading provider of home diagnostic and monitoring products.
The National Law Journal - Recognized on the Intellectual Property Hot List (2012)
- The Best Lawyers in America - Six attorneys recognized for Intellectual Property Law (2007-2015).
- Chambers USA's - America's Leading Business Lawyers - Recognized for its Intellectual Property practice; Six attorneys recognized for Intellectual Property (2009-2014).
- Chambers Europe - Recognized as a leader in the category: Belgium, Intellectual Property (2013) and one attorney recognized for Intellectual Property (2014).
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Magazine - Recognized in the “IAM Patent 1000 - The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners” for its United Kingdom - England Transactions and Litigation practices; two attorneys recognized in the area of Transactions (2012-2014) and one in the area of Litigation (2014).
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Magazine - Recognized in the “IAM Patent 1000 - The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners” for its DC Metro Area prosecution practice; one attorney recognized in the area of prosecution (2014).
- Legal 500 US - Recognized as a leading US practice in the areas of Copyright, Patent Licensing and Transactional, Patent Litigation: Full Coverage, Patent Litigation: International Trade Commission, Patent Prosecution: Utility and Design Patents, Trademarks: Litigation and Trademarks: Non-Contentious (2012-2014).
- Legal 500 UK - IP (2011-2014)
- U.S. News Media Group and Best Lawyers, Patent Law: National and Washington, DC first tier ranking (2013-2015)
- The Practical Law Company (PLC) - Which Law Firm?, Intellectual Property, Commercial Intellectual Property (2011-2012)
- PLC - Life Sciences, Which Lawyer? - Five attorneys recognized for Intellectual Property (2012).
- International Who's Who of Business Lawyers - Three attorneys recognized for Patent (2014).