Covington has unparalleled experience representing corporations and individuals in congressional investigations. Our experiences span the full scope of investigations – from discrete requests resolved with little public attention, to some of the most high-profile and contentious investigations and oversight hearings posing significant legal and reputational risks for global companies. Our clients have included many Fortune 100 and 500 companies, and we have prepared numerous CEOs and other senior corporate officers to testify before congressional oversight panels.
Covington’s congressional investigations practice provides clients with an exceptional blend of political and legal skills. Our practitioners are steeped in the unique attributes of congressional investigations, which often require strategies and considerations different than traditional litigation or other government investigations. Our political skills are matched by our deep substantive expertise in the laws and regulations affecting major industry segments, which permits us to ensure that political strategies in Congress do not invite unintended collateral legal or regulatory risks. Our lawyers are particularly adept at balancing the legal, public relations, regulatory, and reputational risks associated with congressional investigations. In large investigations, we frequently serve as our clients’ key advisers, ensuring that the activities of public relations consultants, in-house lawyers, outside litigation counsel, and others are well coordinated and managed.
Our congressional investigations practice is bipartisan and has experience handling investigations by nearly every committee in Congress, including the Senate Armed Services Committee, the Senate Finance Committee, the Senate Ethics Committee, the Senate Judiciary Committee, the Senate Special Committee on Aging, the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, the House Energy and Commerce Committee, the House Ethics Committee, the House Financial Services Committee, the House Foreign Affairs Committee, the House Judiciary Committee, and the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, among others. Our team includes veterans of the House and Senate, the White House, and numerous federal agencies.
- We represented a world-leading consumer products manufacturer in an investigation by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform regarding high-profile recalls of over-the-counter medicines. The investigation included multiple interviews, tens of thousands of documents produced to Congress, and two major hearings, including one at which the company’s chairman and CEO testified.
- We represented a major financial services company in congressional investigations concerning the documentation of residential foreclosures. Conducted by the House Committee on Financial Services and the House Committee on the Judiciary, the investigations included document requests, interrogatory responses, and an oversight hearing. A significant complicating factor was widespread private and state attorneys general litigation on the same subject matter.
- We represented a major federal contractor in an oversight hearing conducted by the Senate Armed Services Committee concerning the contractor’s activities supporting overseas military operations.
- We represented the University of California in an intense and wide-ranging investigation by the House Energy and Commerce Committee’s Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations into alleged fraud and mismanagement at the Los Alamos National Laboratory. The investigation involved more than two dozen witness interviews and culminated in three days of hearings. At the conclusion of the investigation, the University retained its contract to manage the Laboratory.
- We represented a major pharmaceutical company in a lengthy investigation by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee regarding alleged off-label marketing of pharmaceutical products. The investigation included dozens of requests and resulted in the production of tens of thousands of documents.
- We defended a former NASA official and a former White House official in investigations by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee and the House Judiciary Committee regarding alleged political interference with the work of government environmental scientists.
- We represented the Republican National Committee in connection with investigations by the House Judiciary Committee and House Oversight and Government Reform Committee regarding the dismissal of US attorneys and the hosting of e-mail accounts for White House officials.
- We have represented clients in numerous other congressional investigations and oversight hearings, including a major internet services company in an investigation of its practices abroad, a chemical manufacturer in an investigation of the safety of its products, an insurance company in a hearing on the federal long term care insurance program, a financial services company in an investigation of credit card terms, and drug companies in investigations concerning such matters as payments to doctors, marketing practices, generic approvals, drug importation, and drug safety.