Covington’s lawyers and professionals have years of experience on Capitol Hill and in Executive Branch agencies. We bring an interdisciplinary approach to our practice, which has resulted in the successful representation of a broad range of Fortune 500 corporations, financial institutions, trade associations, and governments in matters before Congress, the Executive Branch, and independent agencies of the Federal government.
Covington’s Public Policy and Government Affairs professionals combine political skill and judgment with unsurpassed substantive experience in discrete legal areas to deliver successes for our clients. We are able to draw upon the unique strengths that come from Covington’s nearly one hundred year history of representing companies, in a wide variety of industries, before federal agencies, the courts, and Congress. Based on our firm’s extensive expertise in substantive policy areas, parliamentary procedure and strategic thinking, we develop and implement successful legislative and regulatory campaigns to address our clients’ needs. We pay special attention to the interest groups and associations that help to shape the outcome of policy disputes and we have taken care to ensure that our practice is politically balanced and enjoys respect in both Houses, in both political parties, and in the Executive Branch.
Our ranks include a former Counsel to two Senate Majority Leaders, a Chief of Staff to three separate Members of Congress, a former Chief of Staff to the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, a former Special Counsel to the President, a former Deputy Secretary of the Treasury, Under Secretary of State, Under Secretary of Commerce, and White House Domestic Policy Advisor, and many more with considerable government experience.
- We secured an ERISA amendment to permit greater flexibility in the administration of retiree healthcare plans.
- We obtained retroactive immunity for a group of antitrust defendants.
- We achieved a legislative override of a negative agency action on industry ownership limits within a few months of the agency’s action.
- We succeeded in enacting uniform model tax legislation in more than 40 states to protect a major manufacturer from unfair competition.
- We obtained unprecedented immigration legislation for the citizens of a strong US ally.