Covington has been ranked among the top five law firms in the National Law Journal’s Influence50 survey for the breadth of its legislative and regulatory experience. Our ability to achieve success for our clients is the result of years of experience perfecting an understanding of the moving parts of the legislative process, involving committees, the leadership, intra- and inter- party relationships, the interplay between the House and Senate, and appreciation of the ways in which the executive branch can influence the legislature. We specialize in crafting comprehensive legislative and regulatory strategies for our clients in such diverse industries as energy, financial services, food products, pharmaceuticals, transportation, technology, telecommunications, and on such diverse matters as employee benefits, health care, homeland security, intellectual property, tax, sports, and product liability. Our expertise also extends to representing clients that are the subject of congressional or state legislative investigations.
Our practice is politically balanced and enjoys respect in the House and Senate and in both political parties. Capitol Hill policy-makers frequently turn to us for help based on our expertise and professionalism.
Our ranks include a former Senator, a former member of the House Representatives, Counsel to two Senate Majority Leaders, a Chief of Staff to three separate Members of Congress, a former Chief of Staff of the Senate Finance Committee, a former Chief of Staff to the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, a former Special Counsel to the President, a former Deputy Secretary of the Treasury, Under Secretary of State, Under Secretary of Commerce, and White House Domestic Policy Advisor, a former Chairman of the Surface Transportation Board, and many more with considerable government experience.
- Represented the National Football League in a successful effort to pass the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act and further defended that measure against legislative efforts to repeal it or impede implementing regulations.
- Represented the government of Australia in securing unique and unprecedented visa treatment in connection with the U.S.-Australia Free Trade Agreement.
- Represent a Fortune 500 technology company on intellectual property policy and legislation.
- Successfully represented a trade association of organic food producers to restore organic food labeling standards that had been overturned in a lawsuit.
- Represented an alliance of medical colleges to affirm the validity of the medical student placement program that had been under attack in litigation and, after a successful legislative initiative, won dismissal of the lawsuit.
- Assisted a pharmaceutical company in obtaining Medicare Part D coverage for its previously excluded product, using an integrated regulatory and legislative strategy.
- Led the fight to resolve legislative, judicial, and agency disputes over ownership cap on network ownership of televisions stations for CBS, NBC, and ABC Affiliates and the National Association of Broadcasters.
- Advise a multi-billion dollar pension trust fund on matters before Congress.
- Represented a wind energy company on tax and energy legislation.
- Facilitated a coalition of companies and environmental groups and represented them before Congress on climate change legislation.
- Represented a major corporation in its successful effort to amend the Internal Revenue Code to permit greater flexibility in making adjustments to its retiree health care benefits plan.
- Represented several clients in a successful effort to enact legislation providing for the carryback of net operating losses that provided more than $100 million in instant tax relief for our clients.
- Assisted a national conservation organization in the enactment of additional Federal tax incentives for the donation of conservation easements and in obtaining two extensions of that provision.
Covington’s Public Policy and Government Affairs practice, and individual members of our team, are recognized in the following publications:
- The American Lawyer
- Best Lawyers in America
- Business Week
- Chambers USA
- Legal Times Influence
- The Washingtonian
- The Washington Business Journal
- The Washington Post