Since 1968, the firm has served as outside counsel to the Personal Care Products Council (formerly known as the Cosmetic, Toiletry, and Fragrance Association or CTFA). In addition to representing the industry trade association, the firm also represents a number of companies that manufacture and distribute cosmetic products in the United States and abroad. Our work has included advice on the manufacture, labeling, and marketing of cosmetics in compliance with FDA requirements and other applicable federal laws and regulations. We assisted the US cosmetic industry in establishing voluntary programs to substantiate the safety of ingredients used in cosmetics and have advised for many years on the operation of those programs. We have been involved in many of the major inquiries concerning the safety of specific cosmetic ingredients. We routinely advise clients with respect to the most important issues faced by cosmetic companies in the United States, such as the line between permissible cosmetic claims and impermissible drug claims, as well as the lawful use of cosmetic claims for products that are subject to both the cosmetic and the drug provisions of the FDCA.
- We serve as principal outside counsel to the Personal Care Products Council, attending Council meetings, preparing draft legislation and Congressional testimony, assisting in regulatory litigation, advising on all aspects of FDA regulation, and providing advice on a wide variety of trade association matters.
- We advise US cosmetics manufacturers on EU legislation governing animal testing and other issues.
- Chambers Global (2012)
- Life Sciences, Global-wide
- Chambers USA (2012)
- Life Sciences, Nationwide
- Life Sciences, CA
- Chambers UK (2012)
- Life Sciences, UK-wide
- Life Sciences, Regulatory, UK-wide
- Chambers Asia (2012)
- Life Sciences (International Firms), China
- PLC Cross-border Super League
- Ranked 1st in the Life Sciences Regulatory Super League (2004-2011)
- Ranked 1st in the Life Sciences Industry Super League (2005-2010)
- PLC - Life Sciences, Which Law Firm? (2012)
- Leading: Life Sciences, England, EU, and USA
- Leading; Government Enforcement and Investigations, USA
- Leading: Regulatory, Belgium, England, EU, and USA
- Highly Recommended: Life Sciences, Belgium
- LMG Life Sciences (2012)