- Yale Law School, J.D., 2005
- University of Oklahoma, B.A., 2002
- Phi Beta Kappa
- with Highest Honors
- Hon. Julia Smith Gibbons, U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2006-2007
- Hon. Claire V. Eagan, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Oklahoma, 2005-2006
- District of Columbia
Phyllis Jones is a partner in Covington’s Litigation Practice. Her practice focuses on matters involving the complex legal issues facing the firm’s pharmaceutical and healthcare clients. Ms. Jones has a wide-ranging litigation practice with a particular emphasis on the representation of pharmaceutical clients in mass tort proceedings, including at trial. She has represented clients in state and federal courts and before arbitral panels and regulatory bodies.
Ms. Jones has also served as an assignments vice chair for the firm’s summer associate committee.
- Defending pharmaceutical client in federal MDL and related state proceedings in suits involving medicine used to reduce risk of stroke.
- Defense of Hoffmann-LaRoche, Inc. in mass tort litigation involving the medication Accutane, including as a member of two trial teams.
- Defense of pharmaceutical client in False Claims Act litigation involving claims by the Department of Justice and multiple state parties.
- Defense of pharmaceutical manufacturer in federal district court suit involving claims of RICO violations, fraud, and copyright infringement.
- Representation of Genentech in first-of-its-kind hearing before the FDA on the withdrawal of the metastatic breast cancer indication for Avastin®.
- Second-chaired a proceeding before a panel of the American Arbitration Association on behalf of a healthcare client asserting claims against former business partner.
- Representation of pharmaceutical manufacturer in putative class action suit pending in federal district court involving claims of product liability and consumer fraud.
- Representation of The Gillette Company in environmental insurance coverage action in Massachusetts state court.
Honors and Rankings
- Law360, Rising Stars - Product Liability (2014)
- Legal 500 US, Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense: Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices (2014)
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, Products: Defense "Rising Star" (2014)
- Defense of individual charged with second-degree murder and witness tampering in month-long jury trial in federal district court.
- Favorably resolved suit filed in federal district court raising federal constitutional and state tort claims arising out of the improper use of force by a public school employee.
- Advice to various non-profit organizations on employment law matters.
Publications and Speeches
- "Hot Topics in Pharmaceutical and Device Law 2013," DRI Drug and Medical Device Seminar (2014)