- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1999
- magna cum laude
- Harvard Defenders, President
- Cornell University, A.B., 1996
- magna cum laude in Computer Science
- Hon. Robert D. Sack, U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 2000-2001
Philip Irwin is a partner in our New York office with broad experience in intellectual property and complex commercial litigation. He has litigated patent cases involving computer circuit design, microprocessors, software, wireless technology, telecommunications, electronics, and mechanical inventions. Mr. Irwin has tried more than a dozen cases in federal and state courts, in the International Trade Commission, and before arbitration panels. He has also briefed and argued appeals in a variety of federal and state appellate courts. Mr. Irwin regularly represents pro bono clients in appellate cases and other matters.
- Representation of Samsung against copyright and patent infringement claims involving printer software. CCP Systems AG v. Samsung Elec. Corp., Ltd. (D.N.J).
- Representation of Manheim, Inc. in trade secrets and software ownership litigation. Manheim, Inc. v. Bidready, LLC et al. (Sup. Ct. Fulton County, Georgia).
- Representation of AOL in three patent infringement lawsuits involving internet advertising. Augme Techs., Inc. v. Tacoda LLC, et al. (S.D.N.Y.); Augme Techs., Inc. v. AOL., et al. (S.D.N.Y.); Augme Techs., Inc. v. Gannett Co., et al. (S.D.N.Y).
- Representation of Fujitsu in patent infringement litigation involving wireless network technology. Fujitsu Ltd. v. Belkin Int'l, Inc. (N.D. Cal.).
- Representation of Samsung in Section 337 ITC Investigation In the Matter of Certain Electronic Devices Including Handheld Wireless Communication Devices, Inv. No. 337-TA-67.
- Representation of Samsung Electronics in patent infringement litigation involving flat-panel televisions. Genoa Color Tech., Ltd. v. Samsung Elec. Corp., Ltd. (S.D.N.Y.).
- Representation of a brokerage firm in dozens of lawsuits in federal court and in arbitration brought by customers of a former employee who confessed to perpetrating a multimillion dollar Ponzi scheme.
- Representation of an issuer of secured bonds in a $450 million dispute with bondholders in an expedited trial in Delaware Chancery Court.
Honors and Rankings
- New York Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property Litigation and Civil Litigation Defense (2014)
- New York Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property Litigation and Civil Litigation Defense "Rising Star" (2013)
- Representation of Plaintiffs in Floyd v. City of New York (S.D.N.Y.), a class action lawsuit challenging New York City's "stop and frisk" practices and policies as racially discriminatory.
- Representation of Plaintiff in successful First Amendment appeal. Farid v. Ellen, 593 F.3d. 233 (2d Cir. 2010).
- Obtained reversal of adverse judgment in Section 1983 case in Rivas v. Suffolk County, 2008 WL 45406 (2d Cir. 2008).
- Submitted an amicus brief on behalf of a coalition of pro-choice organizations in Ayotte v. Planned Parenthood of Northern New England, 546 U.S. 320 (2006).
Memberships and Affiliations
- Pro Bono Panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Council
Publications and Speeches