Paul Claydon is a partner in Covington’s London office and is head of the firm’s corporate practice in Europe. He has more than 25 years’ experience in advising clients on mergers and acquisitions, IPOs and other securities issues, as well as corporate finance, private equity and venture capital transactions.
Mr. Claydon’s practice covers a wide range of industries; he has particular expertise in advising on deals in the life sciences and technology sectors. His clients include corporates, private equity funds and investment banks.
According to Chambers UK (2011), he is “the perfect person to have on your side: his advice is always 'spot-on' and 'sector-specific'"; Legal 500 UK (2010) refers to his expertise as “superb.”
- Axis-Shield plc, a diagnostics company listed on the London and Oslo stock exchanges, on the £235 million all cash public takeover by Alere, Inc., a US company listed on the New York Stock Exchange. Alere’s offer for the company was initially made on a hostile basis and was defended by Axis-Shield and its advisors. Ultimately, the board of Axis-Shield recommended an increased cash offer from Alere valuing the company at £235 million.
- Acambis plc, a vaccine company listed on the London main market, in relation to the £276 million recommended takeover offer by Sanofi, implemented by a court-approved Scheme of Arrangement.
- SeaChange International, Inc., a Nasdaq listed multi-screen video software innovator, in the sale of its UK- based media services company, On Demand Group Limited, to Avail-TVN (a company backed by Carlyle Group).
- The institutional and individual owners of Piramed Limited, a privately owned UK company focusing on treatments for cancer and immune inflammatory diseases, in relation to the sale of the company to Roche for $160 million plus a milestone payment of $15 million and an amount equal to cash balances.
- Vernalis Plc, a publicly traded life sciences company on a £68.5 million follow on offering.
- ReNeuron Group plc, an AIM-listed pioneering stem cell research company on a £10 million follow-on financing structured as a placing.
Honors and Rankings
- LMG Life Sciences Europe, Life Sciences Star - Financial & Transactional (United Kingdom) (2014)
- Chambers UK, Life Sciences (2013-2014)
- Chambers UK, Life Sciences: Transactional (2012-2014)
- Chambers UK, Capital Markets (2013-2014)
- Chambers UK, Corporate/M&A: Mid-Market (2012-2014)
- Chambers UK, Private Equity: Venture Capital Investment (2012-2014)
- Chambers Global, Life Sciences (2014)
- Super Lawyers - London, Corporate Finance (2013)
- Best Lawyers in United Kingdom, Life Sciences and Venture Capital (2009-2014)
- The International Who's Who of Life Sciences - Transactional Lawyers (2014)
- PLC Which Lawyer?, Life Sciences - Corporate, England (2011-2012)
- Legal 500 UK, M&A: Premium Deals (2012-2013)
- Legal 500 UK, Flotations: Small & Mid-Cap (2011-2013)
- Legal 500 UK, Venture Capital (2011-2013)
- Legal 500 UK, Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology (2013)
- Legal 500 UK, Equity Capital Markets (2012)
Publications and Speeches
- "Financing UK Life Sciences," PLC Life Sciences Handbook (2010), Co-Author