Covington’s practice in China includes sophisticated client advisory and transactional work involving the most challenging issues confronting Sino-foreign business and trade. Our Shanghai office and Beijing office work closely together as a single integrated China practice. We advise a wide range of US, European, Chinese, and other new emerging economy clients on sensitive, and in many cases novel, market access, regulatory, compliance, intellectual property, investment and trade policy issues. We assist our clients in structuring and executing investment, acquisition, joint venture and IP-related transactions that are carefully tailored to suit their particular circumstances and objectives. We have experience serving clients from a range of industries, including life sciences, technology, media and entertainment, financial services, energy and others, as well as public sector and government clients.
Our China practice is able to provide truly exceptional service to our clients for two reasons. First, our lawyers in China represent a unique group of professionals with decades of China experience as outside counsel and in-house counsel in leading companies, and in government. Most of our attorneys in China speak fluent Chinese and are experienced international lawyers who have trained both in the United States and China. Second, our lawyers in China are seamlessly integrated into the fabric of Covington’s various highly regarded practice groups and as a result, able to work together smoothly and effectively, as needed, to execute complex cross-border transactions in China.
Our Shanghai office, together with the Beijing office and the firm’s other offices, also help Chinese companies in the US, Europe and other jurisdictions. This includes cross-border M&A, equity investment, and litigations in US courts.
Key practice areas of our Shanghai office, involving both foreign companies doing business in China and Chinese companies doing business abroad, include:
- Recognized by China Business Law Journal’s China Business Law Awards for International Trade (2014).
- Chambers Global
- Asia-Pacific Region - International Trade (2012-2014)
- China - International Trade (2011-2014)
- China - Corporate/M&A (2012-2013)
- Chambers Asia-Pacific
- Asia Pacific Region - International Trade (2012-2015)
- China - International Trade (2012-2015)
- China - Life Sciences (2011-2015)
- China - Technology, Media, Telecoms (TMT) (2011-2015)
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Beijing - Corporate and M&A (2013)
- Beijing - Dispute Resolution - Foreign Firms (2014)
- Beijing - IP - Foreign Firms (2009-2014)
- Beijing - TMT - Foreign Firms (2009-2014)
- Variety named Jason Goldberg, a member of our Asia media practice, as one of “50 Game-Changing Attorneys” in the world for his representation of major US studios in landmark film production and financing deals in China (2012).
In the News
Covington Announces Ten New Counsel
Covington Opens Los Angeles Office
Covington Receives Top Rankings from Chambers Global