- Harvard Law School, J.D., 2004
- cum laude
- Harvard Civil Rights - Civil Liberties Law Review, Executive Articles Editor
- Columbia University, B.A., 2000
- Philosophy and English
- cum laude
Nathan Shafroth is a member of the firm’s Patent Litigation practice group. Mr. Shafroth has represented and advised clients in litigation involving pharmaceutical, software, and hardware patents as well standard-setting and licensing issues. He has been involved in all stages of patent litigation, from pre-litigation counseling to multiple jury, bench, and ITC trials. Mr. Shafroth has also been the lead brief writer in several successful Federal Circuit appeals.
- CCP Systems AG v Samsung Electronics Corp. Ltd. et al. (D. N.J.). Representing Samsung in a suit alleging copyright infringement relating to software used by printers.
- Fujitsu Limited v. Belkin International, Inc. et al. (N.D. Cal). Represented Fujitsu against several manufacturers of PCMIA cards and access point devices in a patent infringement case concerning wireless network technology.
- Ortho-McNeil-Janssen Pharms., Inc. v. Watson Labs., et al., 08-5103 (D. N.J.). Won a bench trial for Janssen Pharmaceuticals/Ortho-McNeil in this Hatch-Waxman patent infringement litigation relating to a patent covering ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN® LO, an oral contraceptive.
- Nomadix, Inc. v. Hewlett-Packard Company, et al., 09cv8441 (C.D. Cal.). Successfully represented Hewlett-Packard in this patent infringement case relating to network gateway devices.
- Mobile Device Litigation. Represented one of the world’s largest smartphone and tablet manufacturers in breach of contract litigation arising from competitor’s assertion of Standard Essential Patents subject to FRAND licensing commitments.
- Trend Micro Incorporated v. Fortinet, Inc., 1-09-cf-149262 (Santa Clara Sup. Ct.). Successfully represented and secured a favorable settlement for Trend Micro in this breach of contract case relating to a prior patent settlement and license agreement.
- Ariba, Inc. v. Emptoris, Inc., 9:07-cv-00090-RHC (E.D. Tex.); Case No. 2009-1230 (Fed. Cir.). Won a jury verdict and appeal for Ariba Inc., including a finding that two patents involving online auction technology were valid and infringed and that one patent was willfully infringed.
- In the Matter of Certain Electronic Devices, Including Handheld Wireless Communications Devices, Investigations Nos. 337-TA-667 and 337 TA 673. Secured a favorable settlement for Samsung in this ITC investigation involving patents concerning interprocessor communication and interrupt masking.
Honors and Rankings
- Northern California Rising Stars, Intellectual Property Litigation (2013)
- Represented a Mexican lawful permanent resident in an appeal of removal proceedings. Torres-Moreno v. Holder, Case No. 09-72448 (9th Cir.).
- Represented Latino residents of unincorporated areas of Stanislaus County in civil rights litigation over the provision of municipal and county services. The Committee Concerning Community Improvement, et al. v. City of Modesto, et al., CV-04-06121 (JO) (E.D. Cal.); 583 F.3d 690 (9th Cir. 2009).
- Served as lead counsel in misdemeanor criminal trial; secured not guilty verdict on one of two counts. State v. Vosu, CR 159908 (Marin Sup. Ct.).
- Represented AT&T customers in suit involving the alleged mass electronic surveillance of Internet and telephone communications by the NSA. Hepting, et al. v. AT&T, Corp. et al., C 06 672 VRW (N.D. Cal. 2006).
Memberships and Affiliations
- State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of San Francisco