Nicole Duclos focuses her practice on international commercial and investment arbitration, with emphasis in Latin America. Ms. Duclos has acted as counsel and advisor in international commercial arbitrations under the ICC, ICDR and AAA rules, as well as in investment treaty disputes under the ICSID and UNCITRAL rules. Her experience spans energy, construction, infrastructure, finance and mining, among other industries. Ms. Duclos has published on international arbitration and is a regular speaker on commercial and investment treaty arbitration.
Ms. Duclos is described by peers as a “first class lawyer” whose “handling of the cases is brilliant,” (2012 Legal 500 US) “one of the best prepared international arbitration lawyers one is likely to meet” (2013 Legal 500 US). In Latin America, Nicole “is ‘an established favourite’ with clients and local co-counsel alike; ‘she’s simply the best: meticulous, on top of everything, and with great knowledge of arbitration proceedings as well as the idiosyncrasies of Latin America.”’ (Legal 500 2013 Latin America) Chambers notes that Ms. Duclos is “a star of the future with the world at her feet.” (2012 Chambers International Arbitration: Latin America-wide).
- The South American subsidiary of a mining company in a ICDR arbitration commenced under an EPC contract for the construction of a transmission line.
- The South American subsidiary of an European engineering company in a ICC arbitration relating to the expansion of a paper mill plant.
- The Peruvian subsidiary of a Chinese mining company in an ICC arbitration against a Chinese supplier of equipment for a copper project in Peru.
- Two Brazilian corporations involved in the construction and operation of thermoelectric power plants in Brazil in an ICC arbitration commenced by a multinational equipment manufacturer under an equipment supply contract.
- A European company and its Panamanian subsidiary in an ICC arbitration against a Colombian Joint Venture in connection with dredging works for the expansion of the Panama Canal.
- A Brazilian corporation in a dispute against a French fund arising from two contracts for the sale and purchase of carbon emissions.
- A Brazilian corporation in a dispute arising from a contract for the sale and distribution of food products in Japan.
- A Canadian electricity company in a dispute against a Caribbean State for the expropriation of an electricity transmission business.
- Several State and multilateral agencies in a dispute against a South American State arising from the indirect expropriation of the collateral securing the financing of the construction of a new airport.
- Senior Associate in the international arbitration group of a major international law firm.
- Associate in the litigation department of a major New York law firm.
Honors and Rankings
- Chambers Global 2014: Nicole is “highly regarded by market sources, one of whom observed that ‘she combines complete grasp of the facts with an impressive attention to the smallest details. Her contribution to our case was decisive.’”
- Legal 500 Latin America 2013: Nicole “is ‘an established favourite’ with clients and local co-counsel alike; ‘she’s simply the best: meticulous, on top of everything, and with great knowledge of arbitration proceedings as well as the idiosyncrasies of Latin America.”’
- Legal 500 US 2013: “Nicole Duclos is ‘one of the best prepared international arbitration lawyers one is likely to meet,’ and ‘exceptionally intelligent, she is exhaustive, absolutely indefatigable, and leaves no stone unturned’.”
- Chambers 2013 (International Arbitration: Latin America-wide): Ms. Duclos “impresses sources: ‘She's very sharp – definitely one to watch’."
- Legal 500 US 2012: Ms. Duclos is a “first-class lawyer” who “has made a huge difference, she brings the team real local knowledge and her handling of cases is brilliant.”
- Chambers 2012 (International Arbitration: Latin America-wide): Ms. Duclos "has advised clients in arbitrations involving an array of Latin American states. 'She's very commercially aware, astute and able to carry the torch,' say sources, 'a star of the future with the world at her feet'."
Memberships and Affiliations
- Arbitration Committee, CPR
- Programs and Courses Committee, Latin American Arbitration Association
- Arbitrator, Small Claims Court, Bronx, New York
- New York State Bar Association (International Law and Practice Section)
- American Bar Association (International Law Section)
- International Bar Association
- Young Arbitrators Forum
Publications and Speeches
- "Grounds for Annulment of Arbitral Awards under the FAA," V Conference on International Arbitration, San José, Costa Rica (February 2014)
- "Absolute and Relative Standards of Treaty Protection," Diploma on Investment Arbitration, Universidad del Pacífico and Arbitration Center Amcham Perú, Lima, Peru (November 2013)
- "Temporal Application of International Treaties," I International Seminar on Investment Arbitration, Lima, Peru (October 2013)