Melody Wu practices in the area of intellectual property, with a focus on patent law. She regularly advises clients regarding inventorship, patentability, validity, enforceability, freedom to operate, licensing and assignment of rights, and changes in the law under the America Invents Act. Ms. Wu manages the worldwide patent portfolios covering several major pharmaceutical products and candidates. She has experience with a range of technical subject matter including biofuels, vaccines, speech synthesis, cognitive training software, gene expression, and RF shielding.
- Advising on patent strategy for pharmaceutical products in Europe, Japan, Australia, China, Canada, Brazil, India, Korea, Mexico, and Eurasia.
- Representing a pharmaceutical company in patent litigation relating to medical devices.
- Evaluating a portfolio covering iron and other metal chelators in connection with the making of a semi-public offering.
- Advising on IP issues concerning the production and packaging of wines and other beverages.
- Drafting a patent application on monitoring the expression and activity of complex plasma membrane proteins using novel fusion proteins.
- Advising on patent term adjustment and term extension regimes in connection with Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership negotiations.
- Advising on the incorporation of a not-for-profit organization for funding carbon sequestration projects.
- Advising Mana Nutrition on issues concerning ready-to-use therapeutic food for treating malnutrition in children.
Publications and Speeches
- "Intellectual Property Rights and Global Climate Change," Institute of Intellectual Property and Social Justice (March 2009)
- "United States Patent Practice," Smithsonian National Zoological Park (2005)
- "The Written Description Standard in Biotechnology Patents," Biotechnology Law Report 22(5) (October 2003), Co-Author