- University of California, Berkeley School of Law, J.D., 1986
- California Law Review, Senior Articles Editor
- Order of the Coif
- Brown University, A.B., 1983
- with honors
- magna cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Law and Society
- Hon. James R. Browning, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Michael Plimack is a partner in the firm’s San Francisco office. He has litigated and advised clients on patent, copyright, trademark and trade secret protection. Mr. Plimack has been lead counsel in patent infringement trials in the U.S. District Court and the International Trade Commission. He has briefed and argued appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and also has prosecuted several criminal jury trials on assignment to the San Francisco District Attorney's Office.
Patent Infringement Litigation/Information Technology and Electrical
- MedioStream v. Microsoft Corporation, et al., 11-02525 RS (N.D. Cal.). Represented Microsoft in this patent infringement case relating to multimedia technology.
- Acqis LLC v Appro International, Inc. et al., 6:09cv148 (E.D. Tex.). Represented Hewlett-Packard in this patent infringement case concerning computer blade servers.
- Nomadix, Inc. v. Hewlett-Packard Company, et al., 09cv8441 (C.D. Cal.). Represented Hewlett-Packard in this patent infringement case that relates to network gateway devices.
- Lochner Technologies LLC v. Dell Inc., et al. 2:09cv177 (E.D. Tex.). Represented Hewlett-Packard in this patent infringement case involving modular computer systems.
- Black Hills Media, LLC v. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., et al, 2:13cv379 (E.D. Tex.) and Certain Digital Media Devices, Including Televisions, Blu-Ray Disc Players, Home Theater Systems, Tablets and Mobile Phones, Components Thereof and Associated Software, 337-TA-882 (USITC). Represented Samsung in this nine-patent district court litigation and related ITC Section 337 investigation involving mobile phones, tablets, televisions, Blu-Ray players and home theater systems.
- Arendi S.A.R.L. v. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., et al., 1:12cv1598 (D. Del.). Represented Samsung in this patent infringement suit brought by Arendi involving computer programs.
- NovelPoint Tracking LLC v. Samsung Electronics America Inc., 2:12cv747 (E.D. Tex.). Represented Samsung in this patent infringement suit brought by NovelPoint involving GPS technology.
- Advanced Micro Devices v. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., 3:08-CV-0986-SI (N.D. Cal.). Represented Samsung in this patent infringement case involving semiconductor circuitry and fabrication.
- Saxon Innovations Corp. v. Nokia, et al., 6:07-CV-490-LED (E.D. Tex.). Represented Samsung in this patent infringement case involving electronic circuitry.
- Barry W. Thomas v. Samsung Electronics America, Inc., et al., 3:05-CV-510-K, (W.D. N.C.). Represented Samsung in this patent infringement case involving cellular telephones.
- Seagate Technology LLC v. STEC, Inc., 5:08-CV-01950 JW (HRL) (N.D. Cal.). Represented Seagate in this patent infringement case involving solid state drives.
- ISCO International, Inc. v. Conductus, Inc. and Superconductor Technologies, Inc., C.A. No. 04-487 (GMS)(D. Del). Represented Superconductor Technologies in this patent infringement case involving cryogenically-cooled receivers used in mobile radio systems.
- Ronald A. Katz Technology Licensing, L.P. Litigation, 2:07-ml-01816-RGK-FFM (D. Del.). Represented Ronald A. Katz Technology Licensing in this multidistrict patent infringement litigation against nearly 100 defendants involving interactive telephone, computer telephony and related services.
- IDT Corporation v. Ronald A. Katz Technology Licensing, L.P., 04-00208 WJM-RJH (D. N.J.). Represented Ronald A. Katz Technology Licensing in this patent infringement litigation concerning prepaid card products and services.
- In the Matter of Certain Programmable Logic Devices And Products Containing Same, ITC Investigation No. 337-TA-453. Represented Altera in this investigation involving patents concerning programmable logic devices.
- Centillion Data Systems Inc. v. MCI WorldCom Inc., et al., IP98-C-1754 (S.D. Ind.). Represented MCI WorldCom in this case involving two billing system software patents.
- ActivCard S.A. v. VASCO Data Security International, Inc., C.A. No. 02-189 (MPT) (D. Del.). Represented ActivCard in this patent infringement case involving authentication and encryption technology.
- Harris Corporation v. Atmel Corporation, 98-98-A (E.D. Va.). Represented Atmel in this patent infringement action. The eight patents in suit relate to semiconductor circuits and processing technologies.
- Atmel Corporation v. Agere Systems, Inc., C-03-04632 JCS (N.D. Cal.). Represented Atmel in this patent infringement case involving digital signal processing chips.
- Atmel Corporation v. ISD, C95-01987 SC (JL) (N.D. Cal.). Represented Atmel in this patent infringement and trade secret misappropriation action involving the use of semiconductors in voice recording devices.
- Atmel Corporation v. SST, C96-00039 SC (N.D. Cal.). Represented Atmel in this patent infringement action. The patents relate to circuits and memory cell designs for flash memory and EEPROMs.
- In the Matter of Certain EPROM, EEPROM, Flash Memory and Flash Microcontroller Semiconductor Devices and Products Containing Same; ITC Investigation No. 337-TA-395. Represented Atmel in this patent infringement action involving semiconductor circuitry and processing.
Patent Infringement Litigation/Life Sciences
- Depomed, Inc. v. Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, C02-0336 WHA (N.D. Cal.) and Depomed, Inc. v. IVAX Corporation, et al., 06-0100-CRB (N.D. Cal.). Represented Depomed in these patent infringement cases involving oral drug delivery systems.
- Affymetrix, Inc. v. Multilyte, Ltd., C03-3779 WHA (N.D. Cal.). Represented Multilyte in this patent infringement case involving microarray technology.
- BioGenex v. BioTek Solutions, C96-20151 EAI (N.D. Cal.). Represented BioTek Solutions in this patent infringement action involving a method for restoring the antigenicity of formalin-fixed tissue, used in connection with cancer and other tests.
Trade Secret and Copyright Litigation
- Silvaco Data Systems v. Hewlett-Packard Company, et al., 1-05-CV-053615 (Super. Ct., Santa Clara County). Represented Hewlett-Packard in this trade secret case involving electronic design automation (EDA) technology.
- Atari Games Corporation and Tengen, Inc. v. Nintendo of America Inc. and Nintendo Co., Ltd., C-89-4805 FMS, C-89-0027 FMS, [Consolidated] (N.D. Cal.). Represented Atari Games in this litigation involving three home video game patents, trademarks and the copyright protection of computer software. Obtained the first published appellate decision holding that a computer program may be copied in order to analyze its functionality. Implemented reverse engineering and "clean room" procedures to develop alternative computer code.
- Performix v. Mercury Interactive Corporation, 95-1150 (E.D. Va.). Represented Mercury Interactive in this copyright and trade secret litigation concerning automated software testing tools.
- Roland Corporation v. DREAM, et al., CV-96-6455 (C.D. Cal.). Represented defendants in this copyright infringement action involving musical tones generated by an electronic musical instrument.
- American Dental Association v. Delta Dental Plan of California, C93-3700-CAL ENE (N.D. Cal.). Represented Delta Dental in this case involving a claim of copyright infringement concerning the Code of Dental Procedures and Nomenclature published by the ADA.
Honors and Rankings
- Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Intellectual Property - Patent (2012-2013)
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Star - California (2013-2014)
- Legal 500 US, Recognized for Trade Secrets (2010, 2012-2013); Patent Litigation (2011)
- Northern California Super Lawyer, Intellectual Property Litigation (2010-2013)