Miguel López Forastier is a partner at Covington & Burling LLP in Washington, DC, whose practice focuses on international arbitration and litigation. Mr. López Forastier has successfully represented a wide range of clients, including those in the oil and gas, communications, financial services, and mining industries in both investor-State and commercial arbitrations. Recognized by Chambers Global and Chambers Latin America as a leading international arbitration lawyer, Mr. López Forastier's work is praised by clients for his “thorough analysis, insightful advocacy and consistently reliable judgment.” Both civil and common-law trained, Miguel handles contentious work in English, Spanish and Portuguese."
- Valores Mundiales, S.L. y Consorcio Andino S.L. c. República Bolivariana de Venezuela (Caso CIADI No. ARB/13/11) (pending).
- Emmis International Holding BV et al. v. Republic of Hungary (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/2) (pending).
- Accession Mezzanine Capital L.P et al. v. Republic of Hungary (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/3) (pending).
- Tidewater Inc. et al. v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela (ICSID Case No. ARB/10/5) (pending).
- Mobil Corporation et al. v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela (ICSID Case No. ARB/07/27) (pending).
- Mobil Cerro Negro v. Petroleos de Venezuela S.A. et al. (ICC Case No. 15415/JRF) (pending).
- Newmont USA Limited et al. v. the Republic of Uzbekistan (ICSID Case No. ARB/06/20) (settled).
- Newmont (Uzbekistan) Limited v. the Republic of Uzbekistan et al. (arbitration under the Rules of the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce) (settled).
- MTD Equity Sdn. Bhd. et al. v. Republic of Chile (ICSID Case No. ARB/01/7) (final award and annulment proceedings rendered in favor of the Claimants).
- LG&E Energy Corp. et al. v. Argentine Republic (ICSID Case No. ARB/02/1) (final award rendered in favor of the Claimants).
- Representation of a US financial institution in respect of potential claims against the Argentine Republic under the US-Argentina Bilateral Investment Treaty.
Honors and Rankings
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, International (2014)
- Chambers Global, Public International Law “Up and Coming” (2014)
- Chambers USA, International Arbitration (2014)
- Chambers Latin America, International Arbitration (2012)
- Legal 500 US, Litigation: International Arbitration and Energy: Litigation (2012-2013)
- Legal 500 Latin America, International Arbitration (2012)
- Legal 500 US, Litigation (2007)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Professorial Lecturer in Law (Arbitration), George Washington University Law School (2009-2010)
Publications and Speeches