- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1993
- magna cum laude
- Harvard Law Review
- Ohio State University, B.A., 1990
- Hon. John M. Walker, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1993-1994
- District of Columbia
Michael Imbroscio represents clients in the life sciences industry facing complex litigation challenges. He serves as co-chair of the firm’s Product Liability and Mass Tort practice and has been recognized by Chambers for his strategic leadership skills and as a “key figure” in the products practice by Legal500 US. Over his 20 years in practice, he has litigated a wide range of civil and criminal matters, including cases in the areas of sports, antitrust, national security, civil forfeiture, and insurance coverage.
- Counsel for Boehringer Ingelheim in coordinated litigation involving Pradaxa, an innovative new oral anticoagulant.
- Counsel for Hoffmann-La Roche Inc. in Accutane products liability lawsuits.
- Counsel for Eli Lilly & Company in products liability litigation involving Cymbalta.
- Counsel for Genentech in product liability litigation involving Avastin and Rituxan.
- Successful representation of Eli Lilly & Company in significant commercial dispute with a business partner.
- Regularly advises clients on drug safety, Daubert, preemption, innovator liability, and learned intermediary issues as they impact the branded pharmaceutical industry.
- Representation of numerous branded pharmaceutical and device clients facing civil, criminal, and Congressional inquiries into their promotional, manufacturing, and compliance activities.
- Frequent preparation of amicus briefs for life sciences trade groups on issues impacting the branded pharmaceutical industry.
- The White House, Associate Counsel to the President (1997-1999)
- Office of the Solicitor General, United States Department of Justice, Intern (1993)
Honors and Rankings
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Business Lawyers, Products Liability & Mass Torts (2014)
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, Products: Defense (2014)
- Law360, Product Liability MVP (2012)
- Legal 500 US, Product Liability & Mass Tort Defense: Pharmaceuticals & Medical Devices (2012-2014)
- Who's Who Legal, Product Liability Defence (2012-2014)
- Counsel for individual released after over 40 years of incarceration on the basis of ineffective assistance of counsel and newly available DNA evidence.
- Regularly represents indigent criminal defendants, including multiple armed robbery prosecutions and narcotics and firearms possession matters.
- Successfully overturning a decade-old conviction in United States v. Bragdon because of false testimony presented by the FBI Agent who examined evidence in the case, one of the first reversals in the nation arising from the FBI Laboratory misconduct scandal.
Memberships and Affiliations
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Covington & Burling Public School Project, President
Publications and Speeches
- "Q&A With Covington & Burling's Michael Imbroscio," Law360 (3/14/2013)
- "Preventing Emotion from Overcoming Reason When There Has Been a Drug or Device Recall: Effective Litigation and Risk Minimization Strategies," ACI Drug and Medical Device Conference (December 2010)
- "Litigation Prevention and Risk Management: Developing Risk Assessment Protocols to Reduce the Probability and Costs of Litigation," ACI Drug and Medical Device Conference (December 2009)