Martin Gold is senior counsel in Covington & Burling's Washington office. In 2003, Mr. Gold served as Floor Advisor and Counsel to U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, assisting him with floor procedure and strategy.
He has over thirty-five years of legislative experience in the public and private sectors. His prior U.S. Senate experience included service as counsel to former Senate Majority Leader Howard Baker and counsel to former Senator Mark O. Hatfield. On behalf of Senator Hatfield, Mr. Gold also served as Minority Staff Director and Counsel to the Senate Committee on Rules and Administration and on the staff of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence. Thereafter, Mr. Gold was a founder of Gold & Liebengood and The Legislative Strategies Group, two leading Washington lobbying firms.
Mr. Gold is one of the country's leading experts on congressional procedures, and for many years has been on the faculty of TheCapitol.Net. Over the years, Mr. Gold has presented hundreds of seminars on Senate procedures and practices for Congressional, governmental, academic, and private sector audiences. He has also lectured at the Beijing Foreign Studies University, Tsinghua University, the Russian Federal Assembly, the Parliament of Ukraine, Moscow State University, the Russian Foreign Service Institute and before numerous domestic institutions and groups on American political developments and the parliamentary processes of the United States Congress. In 2006, on the recommendation of the President Pro Tempore of the United States Senate, President George W. Bush appointed Mr. Gold to serve on the Commission for the Preservation of America's Heritage Abroad.
Mr. Gold was elected to the Cosmos Club in Washington, DC in 2000, for distinction in the field of public affairs. He also serves on the Faculty at George Washington University’s Graduate school of Political Management and the International Law Institute.
Honors and Rankings
- Given the "Champion of Justice Award" by the Chinese American Citizens Alliance (2012)
- Chambers USA, Government Relations (2011-2012)
- Best Lawyers in America, Government Relations Law (2010; 2012-2013)
- Recognized by The Washingtonian as "One the Top 50 Lobbyists" (2007)
Publications and Speeches
- "Senate Rules Changes," Covington Advisory (1/28/2013), Co-Author
- "Forbidden Citizens: Chinese Exclusion and the U.S. Congress," TheCapitol.net (July 2012), Author
- "The Senate, Then and Now," Extensions (Winter 2012), Author