Lindsey Tonsager represents clients in policy and adjudicatory proceedings before the U.S. Congress, Federal Trade Commission, Federal Communications Commission, and Copyright Royalty Board. In addition to assisting clients engage strategically with regulators on a proactive basis, she has experience helping clients respond to informal investigations and enforcement actions.
Ms. Tonsager advises clients on a broad range of regulatory issues, including spectrum policy, accessibility requirements, cable and satellite carriage rules, compulsory copyright license regimes, the use of endorsements and testimonials in advertising, and the laws governing the collection of personal information from children online, behavioral advertising, e-mail marketing, telecommunications and new technologies.
- Advised operator of new online technology on compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act; successfully represented operators of online services in responding to FTC investigations under COPPA; represented leading technology companies in seeking improvements to the FTC’s implementing regulations; and assisted clients in developing practical and innovative COPPA-compliant parental consent mechanisms.
- Counseled pharmaceutical companies, retailers, and online services in formulating online marketing campaigns that comply with the Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography and Marketing (CAN-SPAM) Act and implementing regulations.
- Counseled a major media company on the FTC’s guidance governing .Com Disclosures and online endorsements.
- Advised technology and media companies regarding the Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act and the FCC’s implementing regulations governing advanced communications services and closed captioning of IP-delivered programming.
- Office of Commissioner Adelstein, Federal Communications Commission, Law Clerk (Summer 2005)
Honors and Rankings
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, Communications "Rising Star" (2013-2014)
- Assisted a non-profit organization to develop an intellectual property policy for its online service.
- Provided copyright advice to a religious organization concerning its extensive music portfolio.
- Advised a leading international anti-corruption organization on newsgathering and prepublication review issues.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Federal Communications Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
Publications and Speeches
- "New California Privacy Law for 2015: More Than Just an Eraser Button," Bloomberg BNA Social Media Law & Policy Report, Vol. 4, No. 7 (2/17/2015), Co-Author
- "International Standard Could Reshape Cloud Privacy," Law360 (10/21/2014), Author
- "Creating a Compliant Third Party Monitoring Strategy for Websites with Younger Audiences," Children’s Advertising Review Unit Annual Conference (10/1/2014)