Lee Tiedrich brings together an undergraduate education in electrical engineering and over twenty years of legal experience to assist clients on a broad range of intellectual property and technology transaction matters. She has been recognized in Legal 500 as a Leading Lawyer for patent licensing and transactions for several years and is recommended in Legal 500 for her “ability to identify critical issues” and her “extremely strong work ethic.” Ms. Tiedrich is registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Ms. Tiedrich has extensive experience negotiating complex intellectual property acquisition, licensing, and development agreements, including software and online services agreements, mobile app agreements, patent licenses, content and media agreements, cloud services and data agreements, branding and trademark license agreements, intellectual property settlement agreements, and hardware development agreements. She also regularly counsels clients on strategic issues, such as developing and maintaining intellectual property portfolios and evaluating and addressing intellectual property-related assets and risks in connection with mergers, acquisitions, investments, capital markets transactions and other transactions. Her work spans several industries, including ehealth, communications and media, life sciences, consumer products, and clean energy. She has experience counseling both private and public companies, as well as venture capital firms and corporate venture groups in their investments.
Ms. Tiedrich co-chairs the firm’s Diversity Committee.
- Grupo Financiero Banorte, the Mexican financial group, and its affiliate Afore XXI Banorte in the $1.6 billion acquisition of Afore Bancomer from Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria (BBVA), the Spanish bank, to create Mexico’s largest pension fund.
- Meda AB in its acquisition of MidNite, an OTC sleep aid product.
- Thomson Reuters Corporation in the divestiture of its Healthcare business to affiliates of Veritas Capital for $1.25 billion.
- National Geographic Society in the sale of its Hampton Brown school publishing business to Cengage Learning, Inc.
- King Pharmaceuticals in its $3.6 billion merger with Pfizer.
- Medarex in its $2.4 billion merger with Bristol-Myers Squibb.
- OptiSolar in its $400 million sale of it project development business to First Solar, Inc.
- BBVA in its acquisition of Simple Finance Technology.
- Procter & Gamble in its sale of ThermaCare, a leading over-the-counter heatwrap, to Wyeth Consumer Healthcare, a division of Wyeth.
- The UK-based Dunlop Slazenger Group in its disposition of the Maxfli golf brand and related assets to Taylor Made Golf Company.
- Another major consumer products company in its strategic acquisition and licensing of patents and other intellectual property important for its next generation products.
Honors and Rankings
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property (2013-2014)
- IAM Patent 1000 - The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners (2012-2014)
- Recognized as a Leading Lawyer by Legal 500 US for IP - Patent Licensing and Transactional (2010-2014)
- Recommend by Legal 500 Intellectual Property - Trademarks: Non-contentious - Full Coverage (2013-2014)
- Learning and Leadership in Families, Inc. (d/b/a LearnLead), an organization that supports school readiness and success in the early grades.
- "The State of the District of Columbia Public Schools 2010: A Five Year Update," Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs (August 2010), Co-Author
- The publisher of Checkbook Magazine in connection its PatientCentral website.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Work Life Law Center, UC Hastings College of the Law, Board Member
- Women's Bar Association of DC, member of host committee for 2013 annual dinner
- The ABA Section of Science and Technology, Past Council Member and Committee Chair
- Federal Communications Bar Association, past Co-Chair of the Online Communications Committee
Publications and Speeches
- "Managing the Big Legal Issues with Big Data," Covington Webinar (5/3/2012)
- Presentations at the Marcus Evans Software Conference on Software, Patents and Technology Licensing Matters (2005)
- Presentation before the DC Women’s Bar Association on Strategies for Improving the Retention of Women Lawyers (Winter 2006)
- "The Communications Act - A Legislative History of Major Amendments 1934-1996," Pike & Fisher (1999), Author
- "Competitive Bidding and Personal Communications Services - A New Paradigm for FCC Licensing," 3 CommLaw Conspectus 17, Catholic University (Winter 1995), Co-Author
- "The National Information Infrastructure Initiative and the Emergence of the Electronic Superhighway," 46 Federal Communications Law Journal 397 (Indiana University) (1994), Co-Author