Lisa Peets leads the intellectual property and technology and media groups in the firm’s London office. Ms. Peets divides her time between London and Brussels, and her practice embraces legislative advocacy, trade and IP enforcement. In this context, she has worked closely with leading multinationals in a number of sectors, including many of the world’s best-known software and hardware companies.
On behalf of her clients, Ms. Peets has been actively engaged in a wide range of law reform efforts in Europe, on multilateral, regional and national levels. This includes advocacy on EU and national initiatives relating to e-commerce, copyright, patents, data protection, technology standards, compulsory licensing, IPR enforcement and emerging technologies. Ms. Peets also counsels clients on trade related matters, including EU export controls and sanctions rules and WTO compliance.
In the IP enforcement space, Ms. Peets coordinates a team of lawyers and Internet investigators who direct civil and criminal enforcement actions in countries throughout Europe and who conduct global notice and takedown programs to combat Internet piracy.
Ms. Peets is a member of the European Commission's Expert Group on reform of the IP Enforcement Directive.
According to Chambers UK (2012), clients find Ms. Peets "absolutely great to work with, from the quality and timing of her advice to her expertise, insight and input."
- On behalf of the Business Software Alliance, provided strategic advice and advocacy support on a range of EU legislative initiatives, including the e-Commerce Directive, proposed Software Patents Directive, IP Enforcement Directive, Consumer Rights Directive and reform of the Telecommunications Framework.
- Devised and coordinated anti-piracy strategies throughout Europe (including Russia and markets in Eastern Europe) to enforce the IPRs of leading software providers.
- Worked with major publishers to develop and implement broad-based strategy to tackle Internet piracy.
- Worked with a leading high-tech firm in creating a multi-sectoral coalition to advocate with the EU institutions on market access barriers in China.
- Advised companies in a range of sectors on compliance with sanctions regimes against Libya, Iran, Burma and the Ivory Coast.
Honors and Rankings
- Chambers UK, Parliamentary and Public Affairs (2011-2014)
- Legal 500 UK, Public Affairs (2008-2013)
- Legal 500 UK, Media and Entertainment (2011-2013)
- Legal 500 UK, IP (2011-2013)
- Legal 500 UK, IT and Telecoms (2011-2013)
- Women in Business Law Awards, Best in Copyright (2011-2012); shortlisted for Copyright (2013)
- European WORLDleaders’ award, Best Achievement in Protecting IP Online (2005)
Memberships and Affiliations
- The Intellectual Property Lawyers Organisation (TIPLO)
Publications and Speeches