Lisa Peets leads the technology and media practice in the firm’s London office. Ms. Peets divides her time between London and Brussels, and her practice embraces regulatory counsel and legislative advocacy, trade and IP enforcement. In this context, she has worked closely with leading multinationals in a number of sectors, including some of the world’s best-known technology companies.
On behalf of her clients, Ms. Peets counsels clients on a range of EU law issues, including copyright, data protection, e-commerce and consumer protection, technology standards, compulsory licensing, IPR enforcement and emerging technologies. Ms. Peets also routinely advises clients on trade related matters, including EU trade controls rules and WTO compliance.
In the IP enforcement space, Ms. Peets coordinates a team of lawyers and Internet investigators who direct civil and criminal enforcement actions in countries throughout Europe and who conduct global notice and takedown programs to combat Internet piracy.
According to Chambers UK (2012), clients find Ms. Peets "absolutely great to work with, from the quality and timing of her advice to her expertise, insight and input."
- On behalf of the Business Software Alliance, provided strategic advice and advocacy support on a range of EU legislative initiatives, including the e-Commerce Directive, proposed Software Patents Directive, IP Enforcement Directive, Consumer Rights Directive and reform of the Telecommunications Framework.
- On behalf of Microsoft, provided a wide range of day-to-day and strategic counsel in relation to EU laws applicable to software, hardware and online services.
- Worked with major publishers to develop and implement broad-based strategy to tackle Internet piracy.
- Worked with a leading high-tech firm in creating a multi-sectoral coalition to advocate with the EU institutions on market access barriers in China.
- Advised companies in a range of sectors on compliance with sanctions regimes against Libya, Iran, Syria, the Ivory Coast and Russia/Ukraine.
Honors and Rankings
- Chambers Global, International Trade/WTO (2014)
- Chambers UK, Parliamentary and Public Affairs (2011-2014)
- Legal 500 EMEA, EU Regulatory, Information Technology (2014)
- Legal 500 UK, Public Affairs (2008-2013)
- Legal 500 UK, Media and Entertainment (2011-2013)
- Legal 500 UK, IP (2011-2013)
- Legal 500 UK, IT and Telecoms (2011-2013)
- Euromoney Legal Media Group
- Shortlisted for Europe Women in Business Law Awards for Copyright (2013-2014)
- Best in Copyright (2011-2013)
- European WORLDleaders’ award, Best Achievement in Protecting IP Online (2005)
Memberships and Affiliations
- The Intellectual Property Lawyers Organisation (TIPLO)
Publications and Speeches