Lawrence Hobel advises domestic and international clients on policyholder coverage and complex environmental matters and litigation.
Mr. Hobel has served as lead counsel in numerous major coverage actions, and has secured in excess of $1.5 billion dollars in insurance recoveries for extraordinary losses. He has represented policyholders in litigation and negotiations on a broad range of insurance recovery claims and coverage, including first party property damage and business interruption loss, D&O and E&O disputes, privacy and data breach claims, third party toxic tort, asbestos, product liability, property damage claims, and environmental liability coverage. He is listed in various publications of leading lawyers, including being ranked both nationally and in California by Chambers USA.
Mr. Hobel co-chairs the firm’s Environmental Practice. Clients seek his counsel and representation on a broad range of environmental law and regulation, including waste and hazardous materials and substances, air, water, natural resources, Proposition 65 and other disclosure laws, and land use siting and permitting. His practice and experience also extends to emerging areas such as the impact of nanomaterials and climate change. He has defended clients in governmental enforcement litigation and negotiations, provided regulatory counsel and representation on federal, state and local environmental regulations impacting both project development and ongoing operations, and litigated CERCLA, private property damage and toxic tort disputes.
Mr. Hobel has been an Assistant Adjunct Professor of Insurance Law at the University of California, Hastings College of the Law and a frequent lecturer at numerous programs on insurance coverage and environmental issues.
- Represented large industrial company litigating coverage for asbestos bodily injury, noise-induced hearing loss and other bodily injury claims and negotiated settlements as to which insurers were obligated to pay over $1 billion.
- Represented mining company on open pit mining first-party property and business interruption loss in Indonesia, resulting in a nine-figure settlement with reinsurers.
- Represented large industrial company in first- and third-party coverage negotiations following catastrophic explosion in Louisiana. Negotiated nine-figure settlement with first-party carriers of client’s property damage and business interruption loss and negotiated payment of eight-figure third-party liability claims.
- Represented client in coverage litigation over hurricane/flood/wind loss damage and business interruption loss.
- Represented financial institution in coverage litigation respecting insurer obligations under policy protecting against loss from faulty appraisals
- Represented industrial company in litigation and in negotiations with EPA, water purveyors and other PRPs respecting groundwater cleanup and water supply projects in Southern California.
- Represented industrial company as to its many thousand acre NPL site in Northern California, including negotiations with EPA, DTSC, and Regional Board over remedy issues.
- Represented industrial company in negotiations with nearby property owners and with water purveyors respecting replacement water supply claims.
- Represented companies in Proposition 65 litigation or claims, including food products, consumer products and environmental exposures.
- Advised companies and negotiate contractual provisions relative to environmental issues associated with various acquisitions and divestitures.
- Advised client on compliance with NEPA, CEQA and various environmental siting and natural resource laws.
Honors and Rankings
- Chambers USA (National and California)
- Best Lawyers in America
- Legal 500 US
- The Practical Law Company (PLC) - Insurance and Reinsurance, The Law and Leading Lawyers Worldwide
- Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers
- Who’s Who Legal, Insurance and Reinsurance
- Northern California Super Lawyers
Publications and Speeches