Kurt Wimmer is the US chair of the firm’s Privacy and Data Security practice and a partner concentrating in privacy and technology law. He advises national and multinational companies on privacy, data security, and digital technology issues. He is chair of the Privacy and Information Security Committee of the American Bar Association’s Antitrust Section, and is rated in the first tier by Legal 500, designated as a national leader in Chambers USA, and is included in Best Lawyers in America in four areas.
Mr. Wimmer represents clients on privacy and public policy matters before the FTC, the FCC, Congress, the European Commission and state attorneys general, as well as in strategic advice, privacy assessments and policies, and international privacy matters. Mr. Wimmer's clients include Facebook, Microsoft, Samsung, Viacom, CBS, the Entertainment Software Association, the National Football League and the National Hockey League.
From 2000-2003, Mr. Wimmer focused on EU data protection law in Covington’s London office, where he was managing partner. From 2006 to 2009, he was general counsel of Gannett Co., Inc. Mr. Wimmer has testified before Congress several times, most recently in January 2014, and legislatures in Russia, Romania and other countries. He has published widely on global Internet jurisdiction issues, and he represented coalitions of technology companies in the landmark Ehrenfeld and Bangoura cases.
Honors and Rankings
- Legal 500 US, First Tier
- Chambers USA, Leader Designation
- Chambers Global, Data Protection
- Best Lawyers in America, Four Areas
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, Information Technology
- Washingtonian, Best Lawyers
- Who's Who Legal
Memberships and Affiliations
Chair, Privacy and Information Security Committee of the American Bar Association Section on Antitrust Law
- Bureau of National Affairs (BNA) Internet Legal Resource Center Board of Advisors
- Global Internet Policy Project, Advisory Board Member
Publications and Speeches
- "United States," Data Protection and Privacy Law (2nd Edition, Thomson Reuters) (2014), Author
- "Cybersecurity and Government Contractors," George Washington University Homeland Security Policy Institute, Washington, DC (9/29/2014)
- "Ensuring Privacy and Data Security: The US Versus the EU System," Columbia University Law School, European Studies Center (9/24/2014)