Kurt Wimmer is the US chair of the firm’s Global Privacy and Data Security practice and a partner concentrating in privacy and technology law. He advises national and multinational companies on privacy, data security, content and digital technology issues. He is vice-chair of the Privacy and Information Security Committee of the American Bar Association’s Antitrust Section, and co-chair of the Privacy and Data Security Committee of the Federal Communications Bar Association. Mr. Wimmer is rated in the first tier by Legal 500, designated as a national leader in Chambers USA, and is included in Best Lawyers in America in four areas.
Mr. Wimmer represents clients on privacy and public policy matters before the FTC, the FCC, Congress, the European Commission and state attorneys general, as well as in strategic advice, privacy assessments and policies, and international privacy matters. From 2000-2003, he focused on EU data protection law in Covington’s London office, where he was managing partner. From 2006 to 2009, he was Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Gannett Co., Inc., where he was a member of the Gannett Management Committee and was in charge of all legal and policy matters for a leading digital media and technology company. Mr. Wimmer has testified before Congress and legislatures in several other countries. He has published widely on global Internet jurisdiction issues, and he represented coalitions of media and technology companies in the landmark Ehrenfeld and Bangoura cases.
Mr. Wimmer's clients include Microsoft, Facebook, CBS, Hulu, The Washington Post Company, Hearst Corp., Newsweek/The Daily Beast, Gannett Co., Inc., and the New York Times Co., as well as associations including the Newspaper Association of America and the National Association of Broadcasters. He is chair of the First Amendment Advisory Council of the Media Institute and the D.C. Bar Committee on Media Law, and is a member of the board of directors of the Media Law Resource Center and is past chair of its Defense Counsel Section.
Honors and Rankings
- Legal 500 US, First Tier
- Chambers USA, Leader Designation
- Best Lawyers in America, Four Areas
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, Information Technology
- Washingtonian, Best Lawyers
- Who's Who Legal
Memberships and Affiliations
- Harvard University/Berkman Center for Internet and Society, Digital Media Law Project, Advisory Board
- Media Law Resource Center, Board of Directors
- Media Institute, Board of Trustees
- Bureau of National Affairs (BNA) Internet Legal Resource Center Board of Advisors
Publications and Speeches
- "Sixth Annual Berkeley Center for Law and Technology Privacy Lecture," Data Access and Retention in the EU and US (2/28/2013)
- "New EU Data Protection Regulations: Strict Requirements Proposed," International Association of Privacy Professionals (1/31/2013)
- "The International Privacy Rights of the Child," Computers, Freedom & Privacy Mini-Conference, Founder, Chair and Moderator, Washington, D.C. (1/28/2013)