Kristina Rosette is of counsel in the Washington office whose practice focuses on domain name, Internet, and trademark matters. Ms. Rosette has unique expertise in domain name issues including drafting the ICANN policy recommendations for new gTLDs, developing and implementing trademark protections in new gTLDs, drafting and advising on nearly 100 new gTLD applications for firm clients, designing new gTLD objection and acquisition strategies, recovering hundreds of domain names from cybersquatters and other registrants, and constructing and executing offensive and defensive global domain name registration, Internet monitoring, and Internet enforcement strategies. In her trademark practice, Ms. Rosette advises clients on trademark selection, clearance, prosecution, registration, and enforcement matters in the United States and many foreign countries.
- Represented Intellectual Property Constituency on ICANN GNSO Council for five years. Achievements include drafted the policy recommendations that now guide the introduction of new gTLDs; negotiated the terms and passage of an important GNSO Council motion that ended the policy development process on Whois and avoided radical change to it; wrote and implemented the IPC Supplemental Request for Information on Domain Tasting that provided trademark owners with the opportunity to articulate to ICANN the harms caused by domain tasting; and drafted policy recommendations to curb domain tasting.
- Spearheaded the creation of the ICANN Implementation Recommendation Team and was a member of that global 18-person team charged by the ICANN Board of Directors with designing and recommending trademark protections for the introduction of new gTLDs.
- Drafted and advised on nearly 100 new gTLD applications filed by two national sports leagues, one of the world’s largest technology companies, a leading supplier of outdoor clothing, the world’s largest online retailer, and the fastest growing major hotel company.
- Designing new gTLD objection and acquisition strategies for several firm clients.
- Represent Microsoft Corporation and NBA properties in domain name disputes before the National Arbitration Forum and the World Intellectual Property Organization.
- Represented Shoebuy.com in a domain name dispute before the World Intellectual Property Organization and secured a finding of reverse domain name hijacking against the Complainant.
Honors and Rankings
- Named by World Trademark Review as of the “Top 1000 World’s Leading Trademark Professionals” (2013); national ranking for new gTLDs.
- Recognized by Legal 500 US in their "IP Trademarks: Non-contentious - Full Coverage" category (2010-2014).
- Shortlisted for “IP Lawyer of the Year” (Intellectual Property Magazine 2011).
- Recipient of the 2008 Volunteer Service Award for the Advancement of Trademark Law, International Trademark Association.
- WORLDLeaders IP Awards, shortlisted in the worldwide category "Excellence in Domain Name Policy Implementation" (2008).
- Recognized as a leading lawyer by Legal 500 US in their " IP Trademarks: Non-contentious - Full coverage" category (2007-2008).
- Recipient of the 2007 Volunteer Service Award for the Advancement of the Association, International Trademark Association.
- Trademark counsel to Children’s Defense Fund.
Memberships and Affiliations
- International Trademark Association, Internet Committee, Internet Governance and Contracts Subcommittee (2014-present)
- ICANN Intellectual Property Constituency, President (November 2012-present)
- ICANN Intellectual Property Constituency, Vice President (November 2011-October 2012)
- Intellectual Property Constituency representative, ICANN GNSO Council (December 2006-October 2011).
- International Trademark Association, U.S. Legislation and Regulation Subcommittee (2012-2013)
- International Trademark Association, Internet Committee, Special Advisor (2010-2011)
- International Trademark Association, Internet Committee, Registration Practice and DNS Administration Subcommittee, Chair (2008-2009) and Member (2004-2007)
Publications and Speeches
- Ms. Rosette was quoted in Bloomberg BNA’s E-Commerce and Tech Law Blog article "Cyberlaw Predictions: Protecting Trademark Interests in the New Domains," (1/4/2013) on predictions about the directions cyberlaw policy might take in 2013.
- Ms. Rosette was quoted in Bloomberg BNA’s E-Commerce and Tech Law Blog article "Cyberlaw Predictions: International Pressure on Internet Governance," (1/7/2013) on predictions about the directions cyberlaw policy might take in 2013.
- Ms. Rosette is quoted in "New to the Internet: .xxx," Marketplace (September 2011), which discusses how new domain for adult-oriented websites is opening and why established organizations will have to register with a blocking service to prevent cyber-squatters from branding them with .xxx.
- Ms. Rosette is quoted in "Your Step-By-Step Guide to IP Lobbying," Managing Intellectual Property (September 2009), which offers insight on how IP owners and their lawyers have their biggest opportunity yet to influence the policy making process as IP issues move up the political agenda.
- "The Expansion of Internet Top Level Domains," APABA-DC In-House Counsel Breakfast Update (4/4/2014)
- "Update - ICANN’s New gTLD Program," PLI Advanced Trademark Law Annual Review 2014 (1/31/2014)
- "New gTLDs: Latest Updates, Insight, and Strategies Webinar," Thomson Reuters (10/30/2013)