Ambassador John Veroneau is a partner in the Washington, DC office and co-chair of the International Trade and Finance practice group. He provides legal and strategic advice to clients with global interests, particularly those affecting trade and security matters.
- Co-counsel in NAFTA investor-state claim against Canada.
- Advise global pharmaceutical company in WTO enforcement matters.
- Advise global aircraft manufacturers on trade-related matters.
- Advise the Saudi Arabia General Investment Authority (SAGIA) on legal and regulatory reform.
- Advise air cargo provider on commercial dispute.
- Advise Cuban claims-holders and others on law and policy affecting US-Cuba trade relations.
- Advise consumer products supplier on enforcing the Central America Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA).
- Advise major telecommunications firm seeking national security (CFIUS) approval.
- From 2007-2009, Ambassador Veroneau served as Deputy United States Trade Representative (USTR) where he had broad supervisory responsibilities over US trade policy. He previously served as USTR’s General Counsel, responsible for US trade law and litigation activities. In these capacities, he worked on a wide range of matters, including negotiating trade and investment agreements, initiating and defending World Trade Organization (WTO) disputes, executing US trade laws, such as Section 421 China safeguards and Section 337 infringement cases, and assisting US companies to overcome foreign regulatory barriers.
- As the Deputy USTR, Ambassador Veroneau made official visits to more than 30 countries and represented USTR on various government boards, including the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), Export-Import Bank, Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) and Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC).
- Ambassador Veroneau was also confirmed by the U.S. Senate to serve as an Assistant Secretary of Defense in President Clinton’s Administration. He has extensive Legislative Branch experience as well, having served as Legislative Director to Senator Bill Cohen and then Majority Leader Bill Frist and Chief of Staff to Senator Susan Collins.
Honors and Rankings
- Chamber USA - America's Leading Business Lawyers, International Trade
- Chambers Global, International Trade - Trade Remedies & Trade Policy (US)
- Legal 500 US, Litigation - International Trade
- American Bar Association Task Force on Foreign Investment and Trade Policy, Member
- Council on Foreign Relations Trade Task Force, Member
- USTR Distinguished Public Service Award
- University of Maine School of Law 2005 Distinguished Alumni Award
- U.S. Department of Defense Distinguished Public Service Award
- U.S. Department of the Army Exceptional Public Service Award
- U.S. Department of the Navy Distinguished Public Service Award
- U.S. Department of the Air Force Distinguished Public Service Award
Publications and Speeches