Jack Schenendorf’s practice concentrates on transportation and legislation with a particular focus on legislative strategy, legislative procedure, and the federal budget process. He recently served as Vice Chair of the National Surface Transportation Policy and Revenue Study Commission.
For nearly 25 years, Mr. Schenendorf served on the staff of the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure of the U.S. House of Representatives. He was Chief of Staff from 1995 to 2001. In BNA's Daily Report for Executives, Mr. Schenendorf was described "as one of the most powerful staffers on the Hill, [who] has played a large role in crafting every piece of major transportation legislation in the past decade."
Prior to joining the firm in 2001, Mr. Schenendorf served on the Bush/Cheney Transition where he was Chief of the Transition Policy Team for the U.S. Department of Transportation and was responsible for reviewing all transportation policies and issues for the incoming Administration.
- Advised Associated General Contractors, American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, and Association of Equipment Manufactures on transportation legislation and transportation financing.
- Advised United Airlines on aviation, pension, tax, and bankruptcy matters.
- Advised Qualcomm on telecommunications, patent, tax, and government contracting matters.
- Advised Ports-to-Plains Trade Corridor Coalition on transportation authorization and appropriations matters.
- Advised Union Pacific on transportation-related matters.
- Advised Friends of the High Line on transportation authorization and appropriations matters.
- Advised the American Automobile Association on legislative strategy.
- Advised Massachusetts Transportation Authority on transportation-related investigations.
- Advised Aloha Airlines on aviation-related matters.
- Advised Koch Industries on transportation-related financing issues.
- Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, U.S. House of Representatives, Chief of Staff (1995-2001)
- Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, U.S. House of Representatives, Various Staff Positions (1976-1994)
- National Commission on Water Quality, Counsel (1975-1976)
- United States Navy, Nuclear Submarine Program, Officer (1967-1972)
Honors and Rankings
- Best Lawyers in America, "Lawyer of the Year" for Transportation (2013)
- Best Lawyers in America, Transportation (2007; 2012-2014)
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, Transportation/Maritime (2014)
- Appointed to National Surface Transportation Policy and Revenue Study Commission, elected Vice-Chairman (2006)
- Service on National Surface Transportation Revenue and Policy Study Commission, which was established by SAFETEA-LU to study the future of surface transportation programs and financing.
- Advised DC Appleseed on Anacostia River infrastructure projects.
- Advised National Underground Railroad Freedom Center on transportation financing matters.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Congressional Quarterly’s Capitol Net, Instructor (advanced legislature procedures; federal budgeting)
- Sigma Chi, Lifetime Member
Publications and Speeches
- Testimony before Congress on water infrastructure financing
- Numerous transportation-related speeches