- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2010
- magna cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Georgetown Law Journal, Executive Articles Editor
- Appellate Litigation Clinic
- University of Michigan, M.P.P., 2001
- University of Michigan, B.A., 2000
- Hon. Milan D. Smith, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2011-2012
- Hon. Leonie M. Brinkema, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2010-2011
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
Jeff Kosseff is an associate in the firm’s Washington, DC office. He is a member of the Communications & Media and Privacy & Data Security practice groups. Before becoming a lawyer, Mr. Kosseff was a reporter for The Oregonian, covering technology and Congress. He was a finalist for the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for national reporting, and a recipient of the 2006 George Polk Award for national reporting. Mr. Kosseff is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP-US). Mr. Kosseff is an adjunct professor of communications law at American University’s School of Communication. He also serves on the boards of The Writer’s Center and Advocates for Survivors of Torture and Trauma.
- Develops Privacy by Design programs for clients and advises on implementation.
- Advocates for federal shield law for journalists on behalf of a coalition of more than 70 media organizations.
- Advises clients on responses to potential data breaches, including compliance with notification requirements.
- Advises clients about federal restrictions of digital marketing and advertising campaigns.
- Represents clients in various Federal Communications Commission proceedings, including spectrum reallocation and media ownership.
- Advises clients on public relations and legislative advocacy strategy.
- Advises television reporters on legal questions regarding information gathering and publication risks.
- Assists clients in drafting privacy policies for websites and mobile applications.
- The Oregonian, Reporter (2001-2008)
- Gannett Co., Inc., Law Clerk (2008-2010)
- Drafted Supreme Court amicus brief on behalf of a coalition of groups that oppose gun violence.
- Representing client in Ninth Circuit appeal of summary judgment in a civil rights claim against police department.
Memberships and Affiliations
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, Publications Advisory Board
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
Publications and Speeches
- "Legal Questions that Every Social Media Marketer Should Ask," MediaPost Social Media Insider Summit (8/22/2014)
- "The Case for Not Overregulating Drones," Privacy Perspectives (7/28/2014), Author
- "The Value of Internet Security: Security as a Competitive Advantage," Techweek Chicago (6/28/2014)