- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2010
- magna cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Georgetown Law Journal, Executive Articles Editor
- Appellate Litigation Clinic
- University of Michigan, M.P.P., 2001
- University of Michigan, B.A., 2000
- Hon. Milan D. Smith, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2011-2012
- Hon. Leonie M. Brinkema, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2010-2011
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
Jeff Kosseff is an associate in the firm’s Washington, DC office. He is a member of the Communications & Media and Privacy & Data Security practice groups. Before becoming a lawyer, Mr. Kosseff was a reporter for The Oregonian, covering technology and Congress. He was a finalist for the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for national reporting, and a recipient of the 2006 George Polk Award for national reporting. Mr. Kosseff is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP-US). Mr. Kosseff is an adjunct professor of communications law at American University’s School of Communication. He also serves on the board of directors of The Writer’s Center in Bethesda.
- Develops Privacy by Design programs for clients and advises on implementation.
- Advocates for federal shield law for journalists on behalf of a coalition of more than 70 media organizations.
- Advises clients on responses to potential data breaches, including compliance with notification requirements.
- Advises clients about federal restrictions of digital marketing and advertising campaigns.
- Represents clients in various Federal Communications Commission proceedings, including spectrum reallocation and media ownership.
- Advises clients on public relations and legislative advocacy strategy.
- Advises television reporters on legal questions regarding information gathering and publication risks.
- Assists clients in drafting privacy policies for websites and mobile applications.
- The Oregonian, Reporter (2001-2008)
- Gannett Co., Inc., Law Clerk (2008-2010)
- Drafted Supreme Court amicus brief on behalf of a coalition of groups that oppose gun violence.
- Representing client in Ninth Circuit appeal of summary judgment in a civil rights claim against police department.
Memberships and Affiliations
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, Publications Advisory Board
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
Publications and Speeches
- "What’s Next in FTC v. Wyndham Worldwide Corp.? FTC Data Security Under the FTC Act," BNA Electronic Commerce & Law Report (4/18/2014), Co-Author
- "Hey ‘Chicken Littles,’ Wyndham Doesn’t Mean the Sky is Falling," Privacy Perspectives (4/10/2014), Author
- "A Step-by-Step Guide to Integrating Privacy by Design at Your Organization," International Association of Privacy Professionals, Global Privacy Summit (3/5/2014)