Jennifer Johnson, co-chair of the firm's Communications & Media Practice Group, represents and advises broadcast licensees, trade associations, and other media entities on a wide range of issues, including:
- regulatory and policy advocacy;
- network affiliation and other programming agreements;
- media joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions;
- carriage negotiations with cable, satellite and telco companies;
- media ownership and attribution; and
- other strategic, regulatory and transactional matters.
Ms. Johnson assists clients in developing and pursuing strategic business and policy objectives before the Federal Communications Commission and Congress and through transactions and other business arrangements. Her broadcast clients draw particular benefit from her deep experience and knowledge with respect to network/affiliate issues, retransmission consent and other content distribution arrangements, and other policy and business issues facing the industry. Ms. Johnson also assists investment clients in structuring, evaluating, and pursuing potential media investments. Ms. Johnson’s pro bono activities are focused on the development of the arts and human rights issues.
- Representing clients in the purchase and sale of broadcast properties, such as Gannett Co., Inc.’s $2.2 billion acquisition of Belo Corp., Raycom Media’s $987 million purchase of Liberty Corp., Barrington Broadcasting’s sale of its television stations to Sinclair Broadcasting and Bonten Media Group’s purchase of BlueStone Television.
- Representing the CBS Television Network Affiliates Association and the NBC Television Affiliates on a wide range of legal, policy and business issues concerning network affiliates and the broadcast industry generally.
- Representing television industry associations on key legislative, FCC and industry issues, including spectrum allocation, media ownership, retransmission consent, and other issues impacting the integrity of the television broadcast service and spectrum.
- Advising on and negotiating affiliation agreements with all of the major television networks and a number of emerging or niche networks, including ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, the CW, certain Spanish-language networks, and diginets.
- Representing television stations and other content providers in negotiating carriage agreements with major cable, satellite and telco distributors such as DISH Network, Cox Communications, DIRECTV, Comcast, and AT&T U-Verse.
Honors and Rankings
- The Best Lawyers in America, “Lawyer of the Year” - Washington DC Administrative/Regulatory Law (2014)
- The Best Lawyers in America, Administrative/Regulatory Law (2010-2015); Communications Law (2014-2015)
- Chambers USA, Telecom, Broadcast & Satellite (2007-2014)
- Legal 500, Telecoms and Broadcast (2008-2014)
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, Communications (2014)
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, First Amendment/Media/Advertising (2009-2011, 2013)
- Washingtonian, Best Lawyers - Communications (2007-2013)
- Law360, Media & Entertainment Group of the Year (2012)
- Tahirih Justice Center
- Public Interest Law Institute
Memberships and Affiliations
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- ABA's Forum on Communications Law, Division Chair (2005-2008)