- College of Law, Chester, L.P.C., 1998
- College of Law, Chester, C.P.E., 1997
- University of Cambridge, B.A., 1996
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
James Halstead is a partner in the Corporate Practice and is resident in Covington's London office.
Mr. Halstead advises on a range of corporate transactions including mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, public and private financings, and restructurings. Mr. Halstead also advises on commercial transactions including technology transfers, intellectual property pipeline arrangements, licensing and joint ventures.
Mr. Halstead acts for companies at all stages of development, as well as investors and management teams. His practice covers a wide range of industries; he has particular expertise in advising on deals in the life sciences and technology sectors. Chambers UK (2012) characterises him as "part of the next generation of top operators within the [life sciences] market.”
- Advised Johnson & Johnson on the sale of its vaccine manufacturing business in Solna, Sweden to Valneva, a French pharmaceutical company listed on Euronext, Paris.
- Advised OCP S.A. a leading producer of phosphate rock and phosphoric acid, on its acquisition of approximately 10% of the share capital of, and on its entry into a long-term supply agreement with, Brazilian listed fertilizer company, Fertilizantes Heringer S.A.
- Advised Spanish pharmaceutical company, Laboratorios Esteve, S.A. in a global multi-programme discovery and development collaboration, with payments potentially exceeding $1 billion, with Mundipharma Laboratories GmbH and its independent associated company, Purdue Pharmaceuticals LP, to bring to market important next generation products for the management of pain.
- Advised hit musical producer, Cameron Mackintosh Limited, on its acquisition of the Victoria Palace Theatre, London.
- Advised AstraZeneca and MedImmune, its global biologics research and development arm, on the acquisition of Spirogen, a privately-held biotech company focused on antibody-drug conjugate technology for use in oncology.
- Advised Axis-Shield plc, on the £235 million all cash public takeover offer from Alere, Inc., a US company listed on the New York Stock Exchange. Axis-Shield develops and manufactures diagnostic testing equipment and was then dual listed in London and Oslo.
- Advised the visual effects (VFX) software company, The Foundry, on its acquisition of Luxology LLC and various other corporate and commercial matters.
- Advised ReNeuron Group plc, an AIM listed stem cell therapy company, on its £33m fund raising.
- Advised Imperial Innovations on various investments, including portfolio companies Crescendo Biologics and Inivata.
- Advised Nikon Corporation on its €72 million public takeover over of Metris NV, a Belgian metrology company listed on Euronext Brussels.
Honors and Rankings
- LMG Life Sciences Europe, Life Sciences Star - Financial & Transactional (United Kingdom) (2014)
- Super Lawyers - London, Corporate Finance (2013)
- Chambers UK, Life Sciences: Transactional (2011-2012)
- Legal 500 UK, M&A - Upper Mid-Market & Premium Deals (2013)
- Legal 500 UK, Equity Capital Markets (2012)
- Legal 500 UK, Venture Capital (2012)
- Legal 500 UK, Flotations, Small and Mid-Cap (2011-2012)
- Legal 500 UK, Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology (2011)
Publications and Speeches
- "Starting the Commercialisation Process – What Issues do you need to Address," NanoEntrepreneurs Workshop "What does it take to commercialise micro & nanoscale research & development? (1/28/2014)
- "Key Considerations for European M&A in the Life Sciences Sector," PLC Life Sciences Handbook 2012 (2012), Co-Author
- "Financing UK Life Sciences," PLC Life Sciences Handbook (2010), Co-Author