- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1981
- American Criminal Law Review, Articles & Notes Editor
- Law Fellow, Barristers' Council (Instructor in Legal Research and Writing)
- Williams College, B.A., 1978
- Hon. J. M. Ingraham, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 1981-1982
- District of Columbia
- New York
John Graubert is a partner in the firm’s Washington office. He has more than 30 years of experience in a wide range of antitrust and consumer law matters including merger and non-merger government investigations and enforcement actions, private antitrust litigation, and counseling in the US and in conjunction with the firm’s counsel in Europe and Beijing. In recent years his practice has concentrated on Federal Trade Commission proceedings in both competition and consumer protection areas, as well as matters concerning the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Mr. Graubert is co-chair of the firm’s Advertising and Consumer Law practice group, an Adjunct Professor at the Georgetown University Law Center, and a Vice-Chair of the Federal Civil Enforcement Committee of the ABA Antitrust Section.
From 1998-2008, Mr. Graubert served as Principal Deputy General Counsel and Acting General Counsel at the Federal Trade Commission. At the FTC, Mr. Graubert managed all litigation, legal counsel, policy studies, and administrative functions within the Office of General Counsel. He also advised the Commission and agency staff on antitrust and consumer protection matters and administrative law. He was involved in dozens of litigated matters for the Commission, including FTC v. Swedish Match, et al. (D.D.C. 2000) and FTC v. Schering-Plough, et al. (11th Cir. 2005). Mr. Graubert received the A. Leon Higginbotham Award and the Award for Distinguished Service.
- Co-lead counsel for POM Wonderful in FTC administrative litigation challenging advertising.
- Counsel for PharMerica Corporation as target in hostile cash tender offer challenged by FTC.
- Successful resolution of numerous FTC competition and consumer protection investigations.
- Federal Trade Commission, Principal Deputy General Counsel (1998-2008) and Acting General Counsel (April-June 2001, January-March 2005)
- Georgetown University Law Center, Adjunct Professor, Global Competition Law and Policy (2003-present)
Honors and Rankings
- Legal 500 US, Media, Technology & Telecoms - Marketing & Advertising (2013-2014)
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, Antitrust Litigation and Consumer Law (2013-2014)
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section (Vice Chair, Federal Civil Enforcement Committee)
Publications and Speeches