James Garland is a partner in Covington’s Litigation and White Collar Defense & Investigations practice groups. His practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, internal investigations, white collar criminal defense, and national security.
Mr. Garland has substantial experience litigating high-stakes, multidimensional business disputes for clients across a range of industries, including companies in the high-tech, financial services, defense, transportation, media and entertainment, and pharmaceutical sectors. Many of his civil representations have involved parallel enforcement proceedings in multiple forums, often with significant public relations and policy implications.
In the white collar area, Mr. Garland has represented both corporate and individual clients in large-scale, multi-party criminal investigations and related regulatory enforcement actions. Mr. Garland also regularly advises clients concerning national security-related matters, including with respect to issues involving electronic surveillance, cyber-security, and data privacy.
Mr. Garland returned to the firm in 2010 after serving as Deputy Chief of Staff and Counselor to Attorney General Eric Holder at the U.S. Department of Justice. In that role, Mr. Garland advised the Attorney General on a range of enforcement issues, with an emphasis on criminal, antitrust, intellectual property, and cyber-security matters. He worked closely with senior officials at the White House, Main Justice, U.S. Attorneys’ Offices, FBI, SEC, and other federal, state, and local enforcement agencies.
- Representation of individuals and corporate entities in a wide range of criminal and regulatory investigations, including matters involving allegations of foreign bribery, false claims, public corruption, obstruction of justice, government contract fraud, mail and wire fraud, securities and commodities fraud, price-fixing, and insider trading.
- Representation of leading technology companies in litigation and related compliance matters arising out of highly publicized unauthorized disclosures of classified U.S. intelligence information.
- Advising global electronic communication service providers in connection with legal demands for user data from U.S. and foreign law enforcement agencies.
- Representation of a leading financial institution in connection with a federal fraud investigation.
- Representation of a global transportation and logistics company in connection with multiple federal investigations into government contract compliance and related suspension and debarment proceedings.
- Representation of a leading technology company in connection with potential litigation arising out of a CFIUS dispute.
- Representation of a leading health care provider in connection with the development and implementation of effective compliance and training programs.
- Representation of a leading software company in connection with the development and implementation of a global anti-piracy compliance program.
- U.S. Department of Justice, Deputy Chief of Staff and Counselor to the Attorney General (2009-2010)
- Price Waterhouse LLC, Management Consultant (1995-1997)
Honors and Rankings
- Legal 500, White-Collar Criminal Defense (2011, 2013) and Antitrust (2011)
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, Criminal Defense: White Collar (2014)
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, Criminal Defense: White Collar "Rising Star" (2013)
- Euromoney, Benchmark: Expert Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys -- Future Star Washington, DC (2013-2014)
- Representation of leading civil rights organization in connection with criminal justice policy initiatives and related litigation.
- Representation of individuals in post-conviction review proceedings in West Virginia and Alabama.
- Representation of free press organization as amicus curiae in U.S. Supreme Court.
- Representation of individual in adversary proceedings in U.S. bankruptcy court.
- Representation of public health advocacy organization in First Amendment challenge to a federal appropriations bill.
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- American Constitution Society for Law and Policy
Publications and Speeches