James Garland is a partner in Covington’s Litigation and White Collar Defense & Investigations practice groups. His practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, internal investigations, and white collar criminal defense.
Mr. Garland returned to the firm in 2010 after serving as Deputy Chief of Staff and Counselor to Attorney General Eric Holder at the U.S. Department of Justice. In that role, Mr. Garland advised the Attorney General on a range of enforcement issues, with an emphasis on criminal, antitrust, intellectual property, and cyber-security matters. He worked closely with senior officials at the White House, Main Justice, the U.S. Attorneys’ Offices, the FBI, the SEC, and other federal, state, and local enforcement agencies.
Mr. Garland has substantial experience litigating antitrust, business tort, and complex contract cases for clients across a range of industries, including technology companies, financial institutions, and professional sports leagues. In the white collar area, Mr. Garland has represented both corporate and individual clients in large-scale, multi-party criminal investigations and related regulatory enforcement actions. Mr. Garland also regularly advises clients on national security-related matters, including with respect to issues involving electronic surveillance, cyber-security, and data privacy.
- Representation of a leading technology company in connection with a commercial dispute and related national security compliance matters.
- Representation of individuals and corporate entities in connection with corruption, insider trading, commodities and securities fraud, and criminal antitrust investigations.
- Representation of electronic communication service providers in connection with electronic surveillance requests from US and foreign law enforcement agencies.
- Representation of a leading health care provider in connection with the development and implementation of effective compliance and training programs.
- Representation of a leading software company in connection with the development and implementation of a global anti-piracy compliance program.
- Representation of a leading technology company in connection with efforts to prevent the sexual exploitation of children on the Internet.
- Representation of Chiquita Brands International, Inc. in connection with government investigations and related civil lawsuits.
- Representation of JPMorgan Chase & Co. in civil litigation and related government investigations arising out of the default of $2 billion in asset-backed securities issued by National Century Financial Enterprises, Inc.
- Representation of the National Football League in connection with labor and antitrust disputes arising out of the expiration of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Representation of the NFL in contract litigation concerning cable carriage of the NFL Network.
- U.S. Department of Justice, Deputy Chief of Staff and Counselor to the Attorney General (2009-2010)
- Price Waterhouse LLC, Management Consultant (1995-1997)
Honors and Rankings
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, "Rising Star" (2013)
- Legal 500, White-Collar Criminal Defense and Antitrust (2011)
- Representation of leading civil rights organization in connection with criminal justice policy initiatives and related litigation.
- Representation of individual in post-conviction review proceedings in West Virginia state court.
- Representation of free press organization as amicus curiae in U.S. Supreme Court.
- Representation of individual in adversary proceedings in U.S. bankruptcy court.
- Representation of public health advocacy organization in First Amendment challenge to a federal appropriations bill.
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Antitrust and Litigation Sections
- American Constitution Society for Law and Policy
Publications and Speeches