Jonathan Fernandes is an associate in the firm’s dispute resolution group. His practice focuses on complex international arbitration and litigation, including international investment disputes and international commercial arbitrations. He has experience of arbitrations governed by the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), and the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), as well as arbitrations administered by the ICC, LCIA and the Permanent Court of Arbitration.
Mr. Fernandes has also advised on compliance with, and the commercial implications of, economic sanctions imposed by the United Nations, European Union, and the United Kingdom.
Mr. Fernandes' experience to date spans a wide variety of industries, including oil, gas and wind energy, telecommunications, insurance, construction, finance, mining and life sciences.
- Lead associate representing a European gas seller in an ad hoc price review arbitration with a European gas buyer under a pipeline gas sales agreement relating to the German market with a value in dispute in excess of US$4 billion, seat Scandinavia.
- Lead associate representing investors in an investment treaty arbitration against an African state under UNCITRAL rules.
- Lead associate representing a European oil & gas major in an ICC arbitration under English law arising out of a consultancy agreement. '
- Lead associate representing a BVI company in an LCIA arbitration under English law arising out of a complex shareholders’ dispute concerning control of a joint venture entity, seat London. Additionally, advising on EU economic sanctions issues and coordinating and providing strategic advice on the conduct of several related litigation proceedings in foreign jurisdictions.
- Lead associate representing a US defense company in a dispute concerning standby letters of credit (ICC arbitration, Libyan law, Swiss seat). Additionally, advising on the commercial consequences of trade sanctions imposed on Libya by the UN, EU, and UK.
- Representing a European energy company in an ICC arbitration under Spanish law against another European energy company arising out of a shareholders’ dispute, seat The Netherlands.
- Representing an Eastern European telecommunications company in an LCIA arbitration under Delaware law arising out of a complex shareholders’ dispute concerning control of a joint venture entity, seat London.
- Representing a leading European wind turbine manufacturer in an investment treaty arbitration against a middle-eastern State under UNCITRAL rules, seat The Netherlands. Additionally, in respect of the same matter, advising on compliance with EU trade sanctions.
- Representing a Lithuanian petrochemicals company in an LCIA arbitration against a US contractor, in a dispute arising out of alleged breaches of a project management agreement.
- Representing a European oil & gas major in an ICC arbitration under English law arising out of a services agreement.
- Secretary of a Tribunal in a dispute arising out of a shareholders’ agreement (ICC arbitration, London seat, English law).
- Advising a consortium of oil & gas majors on potential investor-State arbitration proceedings against a South American state in a dispute arising out of complex project finance agreements.
- Advising a Swiss pharmaceutical company on various disputes with their distributors arising out of licensing agreements.
- Advising a pharmaceutical equipment manufacturer in a financing dispute against an international financial institution.
- Advising a leading international “geo-information” technology company in a licensing dispute against leading global provider of telecommunications network software and services.
- Advising a US clothing manufacturer on UK and EU product liability issues and coordinating an EU-wide product recall.
- Advising a pharmaceutical on limitation period issues arising out of several international contract of carriage claims against a global leader in the logistics industry.
- Legal assistant to a leading global telecommunications company.
- Legal assistant to a print-management company.
- Advising a non-governmental organization on comparative state practices relating to access to justice for vulnerable groups in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Advising Privacy International on commercial matters.
- Providing employment advice and tribunal representation through the Free Representation Unit to individuals who could not otherwise obtain legal support.
Memberships and Affiliations
- MCIArb (Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators)
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum
- Law Society
Publications and Speeches
- "Taking What's Mine," African Law & Business (2/11/2014), Co-Author
- "Sovereign Immunity: State Immunity from Adjudication and Enforcement," Practical Law Company (May 2013), Author