Jonathan Fernandes is an associate in the firm’s dispute resolution group. His practice focuses on complex international arbitration and litigation, including international investment disputes and international commercial arbitrations. He has experience of arbitrations governed by the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), and the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), as well as arbitrations administered by the ICC, LCIA and the Permanent Court of Arbitration.
Mr. Fernandes has also advised on compliance with, and the commercial implications of, economic sanctions imposed by the United Nations, European Union, and the United Kingdom.
Mr. Fernandes' experience to date spans a wide variety of industries, including oil, gas and wind energy, telecommunications, insurance, construction, finance, mining and life sciences.
- Lead associate representing a European gas seller in an ad hoc price review arbitration with a European gas buyer under a pipeline gas sales agreement relating to the German market with a value in dispute in excess of US$4 billion, seat Scandinavia.
- Representing a European energy company in an ICC arbitration under Spanish law against another European energy company arising out of a shareholders’ dispute, seat The Netherlands.
- Representing investors in an investment treaty arbitration against an African state under UNCITRAL rules.
- Representing an Eastern European telecommunications company in an LCIA arbitration under Delaware law arising out of a complex shareholders’ dispute concerning control of a joint venture entity, seat London.
- Representing a BVI company in an LCIA arbitration under English law arising out of a complex shareholders’ dispute concerning control of a joint venture entity, seat London. Additionally, advising on EU economic sanctions issues and coordinating and providing strategic advice on the conduct of several related litigation proceedings in foreign jurisdictions.
- Representing a leading European wind turbine manufacturer in an investment treaty arbitration against a middle-eastern State under UNCITRAL rules, seat The Netherlands. Additionally, in respect of the same matter, advising on compliance with EU trade sanctions.
- Legal assistant to a leading global telecommunications company.
- Legal assistant to a print-management company.
- Advising a non-governmental organization on comparative state practices relating to access to justice for vulnerable groups in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Advising Privacy International on commercial matters.
- Providing employment advice and tribunal representation through the Free Representation Unit to individuals who could not otherwise obtain legal support.
Memberships and Affiliations
- MCIArb (Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators)
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum
- Law Society
Publications and Speeches
- "Sovereign Immunity: State Immunity from Adjudication and Enforcement," Practical Law Company (May 2013), Author