James Dean practices in the antitrust and energy regulatory areas and serves as vice-chair of the Antitrust Practice Group. As part of his antitrust practice, Mr. Dean advises clients on all aspects of antitrust law, including mergers, joint ventures, distribution agreements, and trade association activities. He has represented numerous clients in responding to government investigations and as both plaintiffs and defendants in private antitrust litigation. Mr. Dean also regularly handles issues related to pre-merger notification filings under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act and foreign merger control regimes.
Mr. Dean also has significant experience with energy regulatory matters. He advises both regulated utilities and financial investors on the federal and state regulation of both natural gas and electricity, including market restructuring issues, obtaining regulatory approval for energy-related transactions, and rate filings.
- Represented a major software publisher in successfully responding to an FTC investigation of a proposed hostile takeover of a competitor, including coordinating all aspects of the company’s response to a detailed Second Request.
- Advising a leading international metals recycling company on the antitrust aspects of multiple transactions involving acquisitions of competing recycling operations.
- Represented a semiconductor manufacturer in multi-year antitrust litigation involving intellectual property and standard-setting issues.
- Advising a major pharmaceutical manufacturer on its distribution arrangements, including recently concluded negotiations for new multi-year agreements with key distributors for a major product.
- Conducted worldwide analysis of pre-merger filing requirements for transactions involving pharmaceuticals, consumer products, and industrial equipment and coordinated preparation of necessary filings with local counsel in foreign jurisdictions.
- Assisted numerous clients in obtaining HSR clearance for transactions before the Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice.
- Advising a major California utility in on-going FERC and judicial proceedings arising from the California energy crisis of 2000-2001.
Honors and Rankings
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, Antitrust Litigation (2014)
- LMG Life Sciences, "Life Science Star" (2013)
- Completed six-month pro bono rotation with the District of Columbia government prosecuting child abuse & neglect cases in DC Family Court.
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Law Section
- Energy Bar Association
- University of Virginia Law School, Instructor in the Antitrust Seminar offered by firm lawyers.
Publications and Speeches