Henriette (Jetty) Tielemans is a partner in the Brussels office who specializes in the areas of data protection, competition law and international distribution. She is the co-chair of the Firm’s Global Privacy and Data Security Practice Group and the Secretary of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). She also serves on the European Advisory Board of the IAPP.
Ms Tielemans advises global companies on all aspects of data protection and data security, with special emphasis on international data transfers, big data, cloud computing, e-discovery, consumer privacy, behavioural advertising and complex mobile privacy issues. She was asked by the European Commission to join a five member expert group to discuss the revision of the 1995 Data Protection Framework Directive. She is a regular speaker at privacy conferences and has written numerous articles and blog posts on privacy and data security issues, including status reports and opinion pieces on the upcoming revision of the data protection framework. She has been listed as one of the leading privacy professionals in Europe by Chambers Global for the past five years. The team is described as “Very knowledgeable in this area – they really know what's going on and what's coming in the future." In Legal 500 EMEA, Ms Tielemans comes as “highly recommended for privacy audits, breach notifications and technology related matters”. Her “pragmatic approach” is noted.
In the areas of competition and international distribution, Ms Tielemans advised several global companies on the optimization of their European distribution network, taking advantage of the possibilities offered by European and national competition laws. She assisted in the set-up of several franchise systems in various EU Member States and regularly conducts audits of distribution networks. She has particular expertise in multi-level marketing systems.
- Counsel to Microsoft on the European data protection aspects of its acquisition of Skype.
- Assisted numerous Fortune 500 companies with global compliance programs for employee and customer data.
- Assisted global cloud provider with data security requirements in the public sector.
- Assisted numerous companies with technology related privacy issues (geo-location, cookies, BYOD and others).
- Representing nutritional supplement company in proceedings in the Belgian courts on multi-level marketing system.
- The Universitaire Instelling Antwerpen, Assistant Professor (1976-1977 and 1979-1980)
- Trainee in international law firm in Hamburg, Germany (1980)
- The Universite Nationale du Rwanda, Professor of Comparative Law (1980)
Honors and Rankings
- Chambers Global, Data Protection (2008-2012)
- Legal 500 EMEA
- EU Regulatory, Privacy & Data Protection - Belgium (2010-2013)
- Competition - Belgium (2010)
- BTI Client All Stars (2013)
- Elected to Board of International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Handicap International Belgium, Brussels based 1997 Nobel Peace Prize Winner: various professional advice.
- The Arch, an international living community for mentally handicapped: occasional legal advice.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Harvard Club of Belgium
- European Harvard Law School Association
Publications and Speeches
- Ms. Tielemans participated in a Q&A with Law360 (9/14/2011) on privacy and consumer protection.