Haywood Gilliam is a partner in the firm’s San Francisco office and vice-chair of the White Collar Defense and Investigations practice group. Mr. Gilliam counsels clients in criminal and regulatory enforcement matters and internal investigations, including securities, antitrust, healthcare, anti-corruption, export controls, trade secret, environmental and other white collar matters, as well as in complex commercial cases.
Mr. Gilliam served as a federal prosecutor for nearly eight years and prosecuted a wide range of securities, accounting, and corporate fraud matters. Mr. Gilliam successfully tried a number of white collar and other criminal cases, and argued several appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. From 2004 to 2006, he served as Chief of the Securities Fraud Section of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of California. In that capacity he supervised a team of lawyers dedicated to prosecuting securities violations and corporate crimes. As a founding member of the Northern District's Stock Options Backdating Task Force, Mr. Gilliam investigated and prosecuted suspected violations involving the manipulation of option grants.
- Representing Fortune 500 pharmaceutical manufacturer in investigation by criminal and civil components of DOJ regarding compliance with Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP).
- Represented Fortune 500 companies in internal investigations concerning potential foreign bribery and accounting issues in China, Indonesia and Ghana.
- Representing pharmaceutical manufacturer in investigation by criminal and civil components of DOJ regarding the promotion of a prescription drug.
- Representing Fortune 500 global logistics company in grand jury and administrative investigations by DOJ and the Department of Commerce regarding compliance with regulations restricting exports to embargoed countries.
- Representing technology company in industrywide grand jury investigation by DOJ Antitrust Division.
- Represented Fortune 500 pharmaceutical manufacturer in investigation by DOJ and Department of Health and Human Services regarding the promotion of a prescription drug. After DOJ declined to intervene in the case, plaintiff dismissed False Claims Act qui tam lawsuit immediately.
- Represented former executive of consumer products company in SEC insider trading investigation. We convinced the SEC not to pursue an enforcement action against our client.
- Represented former CFO of technology company in SEC investigation of reserve accounting practices. Investigation was closed with no charges against our client.
- U.S. Attorney's Office, Northern District of California, Chief, Securities Fraud Section (2005-2006)
- U.S. Attorney's Office, Northern District of California, Assistant United States Attorney (1999-2005)
Honors and Rankings
- Best Lawyers in America, Criminal Defense: White Collar (2013-2014)
- Benchmark Litigation, Future Star (2013-2014)
- Northern California Super Lawyers, Criminal Defense: White Collar (2008-2013)
- San Francisco NAACP 1998 Thomas I. Atkins Civil Rights Award
- Stanford Law Review, Article Editor (1993–1994)
- United States Law Week award for outstanding service and unfailing commitment to the Stanford Law Review.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member, Stanford Law School Board of Visitors (2010-2013)
- Co-Chair, Stanford Law School San Francisco Alumni Chapter (2012-2014)
- Director, Bar Association of San Francisco (2009-2012)
- Bar Association of San Francisco Judiciary Committee (2007–2009)
- Northern District of California Lawyer Representative to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference (2006–2009) (Co-Chair, 2008-2009)
- Northern District of California's Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel (2013 (Chair), 2006)
- Board Member, Wiley Manuel Law Foundation, Oakland, CA (1999 to present)
- Member, East Bay Community Law Center Advisory Board (2012-2014)
- Board Member, Vincent Academy (charter elementary school in West Oakland, CA) (2013-present)
Publications and Speeches
- Mr. Gilliam participated in a Q&A in Law360’s White Collar report regarding his practice and current issues in white collar enforcement and defense (4/2/2013).
- "Knock and Talks: What to Do if the Feds Show up on Your Doorstep," Chief Executive.net (1/5/2014), Author
- "Trends and Developments in Anti-Corruption Enforcement 2014," Covington Advisory (January 2014), Co-Author
- "EU Spotlight: Strategies for Tackling Third Party Risk Across Business Units & Geographies," NAVEX Global's Virtual Conference (11/14/2013)